1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Review] Lone Survivor (movie)

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Andy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I never thought this book I read a few years back would ever see the silver screen thanks to the Holyweird elitist-lefty-anti-military culture. .

Thanks to director Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg, I'm glad to say I was wrong.

It's tough to put into words though how stunning, moving, and gut-punching the movie is, keeping true to the story.

One uplifting part (for me) was seeing the author himself in a bit part as another SEAL in the first 20 minutes, (With the kid in the trailers reciting the SEAL motto being told that his first mission was to clean up a mess) but only to see him later in the ill-fated Chinook loaded with the QRF sent to rescue Luttrell and his team mates. I had a feeling looking around at the type of people that filed in the theatre, that I was the only one who even knew it was him.

My only knit I had to pick was how they didn't point out at the end that LT Murphy was posthumously awarded the MoH for his actions, and now has a Navy ship named after him. (DDG-112), or that all of them received the Navy Cross. They did show the Afghani who helped save Luttrel safe several years later in a pic with Marcus.

1:30 on a Sunday afternoon, and it was playing to a packed house, a month after it opened, and like Private Ryan, you could hear a pin drop during the credits as people left.

This is a definite must see, and sadly will be overlooked for any awards by those in place to award them, since we've become a culture that is too busy giving handjobs to any dreck the likes of DiCaprio put out rather than honoring our warriors and their stories.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the review, Andy. I will keep this one in mind to see later. BTW, I'm not a DiCaprio fan.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it myself, though my SF pods who were in on the op say the SEALs fucked themselves. The ending is completely drama, I understand, complete with a pitched battle that never happened. I've heard that routinely about the SEALs (but never about their T1 assets) that planning is always optional for them.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I saw it. Andy describes it well.

6. ethics

The link not the movie. Although the movie is good too.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I missed that link.

8. ethics

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. Not captioned, so I will pass on it.