1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL.. I like this "quote"

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

One-Shot Ari

"The cost of one bullet, if the Iraqi people take it on themselves, is substantially less [than going to war.] ... Regime change is welcome in whatever form that it takes."

-White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, news briefing, Oct. 1.

<a href="http://www.afa.org/magazine/verbatim/1202verb.asp" target="blank">Taken from Air Force Magazine - Dec 2002 Issue</a>

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Something tells me Ari wouldn't like it if the bullet was pointed at his regime. And that's the funny thing about bullets, they don't know any better than to go where they're aimed. You would like to think a high-level government official would be smarter than a bullet, wouldn't you? I know I would.

3. Biker

In a manner of speaking, the bullet is pointed at his regime.

I would think it better to have the change from within, rather than sending our troops there to do it.

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ah, but we have a member of our government endorsing assassination. I have a sensitive spot there stemming from the memory of JFK's murder and later his brother Bobby.

I am not in agreement with Mr. Fleischer on this one and I pray there is nobody out there who would decide it is appropriate to shoot Mr. Fleischer or anyone else for that matter.

How is it that we all agree torture and murder is wrong but it is absolutely fine and good whenever we need to make an exception?

hypocrisy

n 1: an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction [syn: lip service] 2: insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

<small>Source: WordNet 1.6, 1997 Princeton University

5. Biker

I've never said torture and murder is wrong. I've always believed in special cases, it may be a necessary evil.

6. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I'm sorry Biker, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.
    I have said and will continue to say torture, murder and assassination are wrong - without exception.

We can certainly agree to disagree on this if you wish. I do understand and respect your point of view. I would like to think the end goal in everybody's mind is to eventually eradicate all the "necessary evils" in this world. Are we in agreement there?

7. Biker

Sounds good to me. ;)

8. Omar

Omar Registered User

The Iraqi are too starved by the embargoes and fed too much by the leadership to do anything. I wish it were another way but this is not to be in Iraq.