1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logical Fallacies

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

There are few topics more divisive, emotional, and prone to misunderstandings, whether deliberate or intentional, than philosophy, spirituality, and, especially, religion.

I have seen several discussions where logical fallacies were used in an attempt to score against the opposing viewpoint. I've been guilty of doing so, myself.

In the interests of promoting a more honest level of debate, I present to you an index of Logical Fallacies. In particular, the Hasty Generalization, the Unrepresentative Sample, Prejudicial Language, and Begging the Question seem to be used with disconcerting frequency in our discussions.

Again, I note that I am often guilty of these things, myself, so if you feel singled out, remember that I singled myself out, first.

Let's all try to avoid these logical fallacies. I think we'll all enjoy the debates far more, if we do.

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thank you Stevent, that was enlightening.
    I recognized several things I am guilty of.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Darn you stevent, now I have to really think about my arguments. You enjoy making this hard don't you ;)

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

All I ask for, no matter how extreme the opinion, is that we remain intellectually honest to each other and to ourselves.

Or, as I learned as a little kid: 'You ain't foolin' nobody but yourself, man!"

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yea Steven, thats good stuff.

First off I want to admit my faults in these areas but it really shouldn't be necessary to do so as there isn't anyone on the planet that isn't guilty at least some of the time.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I've got to admit my aversion to getting involved in debates that get way beyond the logic and rational. The high level of emotion in some debates is off putting especially if your not involved from the outset. While I dont wish for a total lack of emotive input, indeed its a fundamental ingredient in a lot of good debates, too much emotion and too little logic can destroy a good debate.

I think a refusal to see that not everything is 100% anything, either pro or anti a particular point, is frustrating in the extreme. Regardless of the balance one attempts to put into an argument a total refusal on the other side to acknowledge any truth of the opposite point of view is enough to make me not bother. I dont get much fun out of arguing or fighting anymore. I good debate yes. But to get involved in a ranting and raving session, forget it. I've got better things to do with my time.