1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greg, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

I ran a hobby forum based upon the popular freeware package SMF (Simple Machines Forum). Actually I was a modification package author there for a time.

One of the niceties of what I liked about my hobby forum is that when members registered (or set their member profile) it would state where their location was, whatever they said. "Neverland?" Pensacola, FL? Northridge, CA?

I find it easier to understand where members are coming from in many geographic dependent cases.

I wonder if Global Affairs can set their configuration or add a modification package so that the posting member's location is visible in what we at SMF call the "postbit." In the SMF forum software it's the area to the left of the post with the member's name, join date, number of posts, etc.

It is often poignant where a member resides when considering the bias or frame of reference of their posts and opinions. I feel that it would be a valuable benefit if Global Affairs could take any technical steps necessary to include any stated location from the member profile into the "postbit."

Thank you!

2. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Good idea.

I often wonder what time zones members are in in relation to my own.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Additional information can be found about a member by clicking on their avatar. As far as modifying the postbit, doubtful it's going to happen. I've already made quite a few changes under the hood that require me to redo them with every site update. I'm not wild about adding to it. 

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Um, okay. Too bad I'm not an IP.Board modification author, could probably add that no problema. Actually I wrote a mod for SMF that does exactly that, and more. Unfortunately SMF didn't pay me or otherwise reward my endeavor, nor it is it likely that IP.Board will reward me for doing same.

Under SMF my mods were fairly stable, often requiring no changes through all but the most major releases. Perhaps in some respects that indicates SMF may have some better design principles than IP.Board. I thought it was reasonably designed (SMF) but they are now going through a major release cycle (2.0) which will likely require anything and everything to be updated due to their major revision on how they handle templates. I don't know if IP.Board is template based but in SMF it's the major foundation. Two pieces in every function, calculate it then template (display) it. A major change in the second part requires a major change in every aspect of the function or modification.

Well I had to ask. Too bad we can't see where members are without clicking things. I know where all the most prolific members are, anyway. How's Texas? :)