1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Litvinenko inquest in doubt

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by David M, May 17, 2013.

1. David M

David M Full Member

It looks as though the Litvinenko inquest is about to collapse before it has even begun. Doubt has been cast on its future after the coroner, Sir Robert Owen, ruled that he cannot hear evidence in public on Russia's alleged involvement in Litvinenko's death, or whether the death could have been prevented. The ruling is a response to an application by Britain's foreign secretary William Hague, who cited grounds of national security and international relations as reasons for the ban.

In a judgment published on Friday afternoon, Owen acknowledged that his ruling meant the inquest scheduled to begin on 2 October could end up being "incomplete, misleading and unfair". He took the highly unusual step of inviting the government to hold a secret public inquiry into Litvinenko's killing, which would involve the sensitive excluded evidence heard behind closed doors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/17/litvinenko-coroner-crucial-evidence-secret

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Do you think this is justified, or is the British government playing a game similar to ours?

3. David M

David M Full Member

Well, for the moment it looks very much as though Hague's and Cameron's concerns about British trade deals with Russia are taking precedence, though there may be more to it than that. There are quite a few business people in London with heavy stakes in Russia - until recently there was even an organization called Conservative Friends of Russia that had to change its name and lower its profile quickly after it was found to be in close cahoots with the Russian Embassy and a Russian diplomat, the son of a KGB general. You can read about it in the link.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Odd bedfellows!

5. David M

David M Full Member

Take a look at the website:

http://wrforum.org.uk/

Some real Putin fans there, though they are now bending over backwards to look nice.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have trouble getting my head around people who'd want to live under Putin!

7. David M

David M Full Member

Here's another report by Luke Harding - I think it will be updated later today to include more on Marina Litvinenko's response.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

This was a good article. I better understand what's currently going on, and it refreshed my memory about other things.Thanks for posting.

9. David M

David M Full Member

It makes you wonder how much "cooperation" there was between British and Russian intelligence. Like the "help" the FSB has been offering the FBI recently.

By the way, the Guardian report giving Marina Litvinenko's reaction to the coroner's ruling is here. It really does appear that justice in Britain can be bought off. Not good.

10. David M

David M Full Member

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

What a mess! We can't count on Obama to face up to anybody!

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

ShinyTop likes this.
  13. Allene

Allene Registered User

Riveting, even though I already knew the outcome.

ethics likes this.