1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Litigious society indeed...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

I open my mail this morning to find a check for 35 dollars and some-odd cents.

Apparently somebody brought a class action lawsuit against GE mortgage insurance, and somehow I was affected.

"Heres your 35 bucks. Bye."

Weird.

I understand, of course... but its still weird.

:huh:

2. jamming

jamming Banned

But America has always been a litigious society. In the mid-1600's in Virginia, having Court once a month was considered almost like theater or going to Church once a week. They probably had better attendance at Court. They would sue each other at the drop of a hat, after a successful suit it would almost be the person who lost turn. There was a book I studied in Grad School that talked about it, it really is nothing new our facination with the lawsuit, it really provides an outlet for aggresssion over being wronged in our minds. Plus Colonial Courts were available to everyone who had the relative low cost to file the suit, unlike today and you could represent yourself.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Is because we live in a Capitalist society...

Anyways as far as the money goes. I will quote Rober Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond

"When the monkey rings the bell and the pellet comes out, he doesn't ask how the pellet got there. He just enjoys the pellet"