1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Version of SQL Server on its Way

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Mar 8, 2016.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

From a developer standpoint, this makes sense.

Most admins, however, will most likely want some pretty compelling reasons before they add it to the server. I know I would.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Between MySQL and phpMyAdmin I don't understand what MSFT has to bring to the game. Both are open source, both get the job done, both have strong developer and user bases. Both are open source and free.

There's this thing called 'LAMP.' Linux, Apache, MySQL and phpMyAdmin. Besides a server they are all you need to get an operational server online, and all are free.

Then the money grubbing freaks at MSFT wanna what, get into the Open Source game?

Actually my only divergence from LAMP is I prefer to substitute nginx for Apache, also open source.

Well shit, you can build a killer server from free, open source software. Why bring a money grubbing corporate pest like MSFT into the mix?

(I'm getting my own dedicated server next month and it will be LAMP with the substitution of nginx. I find nginx easier to maintain than Apache.)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It makes zero sense with a plethora of both SQL and NoSQL DB's on the market, many even free like MongoDB (which is fantastic). RethinkDB (brand new and awesome) and a slew of others.