1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux users unite!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well who else is using Linux here? Show yourselves!

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am planning to, sometime in January. Will be asking all kinds of advice. :)

3. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I put linux on a second hard drive. Everytime I want to use linux, I have to enter the BIOS and make a slight change. Much easier than dealing with other headaches.
    Ethics,
    I am a Linux newbie, I would recommend buying the disks and using the Mandrake or RedHat. They're much easier to install. My install went easier than a Windows install.

4. ethics

Wow seriously? I was thinking along the lines of Mandrake.

5. Techie2000

I personally would recommend SuSE, which I have experience with. If you buy Mandrake I may not be able to help you with some stuff. SuSE is a great distro that will grow with you, and got a C|NET editor's choice award. It's the distro I would use if I wasn't using Gentoo right now...

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I have RedHat 8 if you want to give that a whirl.

SM

7. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I just put the CD in, and the install started, found the hardware asked me some questions and then I got to the desktop. If you want to dual boot or some other stuff like that, it might be a drop harder.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Mandrake and win2k on one machine, Lindows and win2k on Mrs. Coot's.

9. Aria

Aria All shall love me&despair

I've got Mandrake 8.0 on my 2nd hard drive. No problems with it once I gave in to the fact that it didn't want to play nice with Win2k on my other drive.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I heard the Linux users had a national convention. They held it in a clothes closet.

11. Techie2000

Actually the next LinuxWorld is at a Marriott in NYC.

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Which closet?

13. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

Well, it is time for Ravenink to join the linux revolution. My 2k box is acting up, and since it now needs to be formatted, I decided why not set this system up to dual boot linux and 2k. I haven't decided on a distro yet, but based on techie's reccomendation I am seriously considering SuSe. I'm familiar with a command line environment, but my knowledge of working on linux/unix systems is very specialized. I can setup ipchains, monitor processes, change permissions, and that is about it. I've learned how to use the systems as a basic troubleshooter, but never as an actuall users. I look forward to being clueless. If my readings are correct, if I am going to make this system dual boot it is best to install linux first so that win2k won't try to overwrite LILO. Is this correct?

Any help/suggestions anyone here can offer will be much appreciated. If any of the linux gurus here have the time, I could certainly use a mentor.

Thanks! :)

14. ethics

You guys use partition magic for dual boots or is there another option?

15. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Most of the latest Linux distros will ask you how much of the hard disk to appropriate for Linux. The installation will then take how ever much you tell it and format it. Partition Magic is notorious for kluging the hard drive and creating FAT errors and the like.

16. ethics

Well, that sucks.

17. Techie2000

I just formatted my drive so that I had an NTFS partition for windows, then left the rest unpartitioned. Then I partitioned it with the linux installer. I like the SuSE YaST2 control center...:)

Anyways I suggest installing Windows first, because otherwise you have to boot your rescue disk to reinstall LILO (or GRUB). Plus if you already have windows installed, the installer will automatically configure LILO so you don't have to manually add in Windows to the boot menu.

18. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

OS War! OS War! ;)

*gets popcorn and waits for Shiny to explain to Techie that if Linux needs a GUI then it's not *really* 'nix*. ;)

19. Techie2000

It's not so much that it needs a GUI, it's just that it's there if you wish to use it...

20. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

It sure does if you want the corporate boys to start deploying it. They have enough issues with Windows users. Can you imagine the help desk trying to tell someone how to manage a large hard drive using a CLI?

I love the command line, very powerful, no matter what OS you are using.

I've used OSs that go back almost 30 years. The first computer I used was a Data General Nova 820 (8 bit cpu, 24KB ram core memory) that booted via console toggle switches. Read the boot sector off a 14" diameter 1.25MB IBM 2315 disk cartridge. The i/o was done by a KSR teletype. The good old days ;).