1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" released

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, May 31, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I've been on Ubuntu, testing it. And while it's OK on a very old laptop, it's JUST ok. Mint was much faster.

3. Biker

Yup. I installed 17 (Cinnamon) and it's very polished. And since this one's the long term release, I won't have to be installing a new OS every 6 months.

Still partial to VL, though. What can I say? I like the way Slackware does things.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Does Mint have support for Toshiba ACPI? VL doesn't, at least not on my Satellite L675.

I keep threatening to go back to Win7 over power management, and some self-pubbing tools that don't seem to exist in Linux.

5. Biker

Don't know, although I ran Mint on the old Toshiba I had with few issues.

6. Biker

Clem has announced that the update to 17 is code named Rebecca and 17.1 will be offered as an update within Mint itself via the update manager. How sweet is that?!!

7. ethics

Superb. Ubuntu has serious challenger.

8. Biker

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

Can't you run Wine or something like that to get your Windoze tools running on Linux?

10. Biker

Wine works well for some things, not so well for others.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

Yeah. I used it back in the '90s on my Sun workstation. I've presumed it has advanced in the last 20 years, but I have no present day experience.

I'm about ready to switch my Win2k desktop to Debian because it won't run Win7. I'm doing a lot more server stuff these days and it would help to have a local machine running LAMP for developing and for server use. I can use VNC or SSH to get into it from my Win7 laptop where I usually work.

12. Biker

They finally pushed the update via update manager. Painless and fast. EVERYONE should do it like this!

13. Biker

Ugh. Be careful with the "Level 4 and 5 updates". I did a complete update (including kernel) and screwed up the sources for future updates. Pay close attention when it asks you if it can overwrite something. (In this case, it's a HELL NO!)

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just curious. I'm too lazy to check myself instead of asking. Are you using CloudFlare?

15. Biker

I must say, the more I use Mint, the more I'm impressed by it. I installed a new wifi card in the notebook yesterday. Fired up Mint and it automatically detected the new card and put it into use including the bluetooth options. NICE! More than I can say about Winderz which involved about 30 minutes of fussing and installing to get it to work properly.

[​IMG]

Note the bluetooth icon on the menu bar!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  16. ethics

It's a great OS.

17. Biker

17.2 has been pushed via the update manager.

As usual, no issues. A lot of the other distro's should take note of how Mint does things.

18. ethics

Nice. Will need to upgrade. I am like 2 OS'es behind.