1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Linux Lessons: Let’s Get Started

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, May 12, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This will show you how to install the proprietary drivers.

2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Nope. Definitely chose to save xorg.conf file.

3. Biker

No no no no no. There's no need for an xorg.conf file any more except for the really OLD machines. Let it do the installation without the config file.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Hello world.

Took me a few minutes sweating out the partitions, but I'm here.

5. Biker

Now that wasn't so bad, was it? :laugh:

6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Not once i got past the partitions. Install was pretty darn painless.

Now to get a few things installed and initialized, and I'll be good.

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well, I finally got everything fixed. But I fixed it by dumping VL and installing Ubuntu. Everything is working great. Easy install. Recognized all of my hardware and had the correct drivers. All is well so far.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

OK. I'm trying. I really am. But every step of the way I keep hitting snags. Reason #4,441 why Linux will never replace Windows/MAC: Can't watch Netflix "Watch Instantly" programming. Why? Because they use Micro$oft's Silverlight w/ DRM. They refuse to anything without DRM. grrrr!

Oh, and my budgeting software won't easily work in Linux either.

9. Biker

Obviously there are going to be things that you won't be able to do in Linux. Your choice will be whether the things you can't do are critical enough to give up on the OS. Personally, the things I can't do in Linux aren't a deal breaker for me. I don't subscribe to Netflix, I've told Apple to stick iTunes where the sun doesn't shine, and I rarely boot into Windows to play WoW now.

I could easily kick Windows to the curb at this point, and there's really nothing I would miss. As for software, there ARE open source packages available for pretty much anything you'd wish to do. Sure, it would take some doing to import the data from the Windows side to the Linux side, but once done, what more would you need?

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I have to say that the folks at Ubuntu sure have this thing streamlined and tweaked to the point where it's almost too easy. Much easier than the last time I tried it a few years ago. With the exception of a few items like Adobe AIR, iTunes, and the Netflix streaming issue, I've gotten everything to work flawlessly. Ubuntu has things like DropBox and PasswordSafe already set up in their software repository. These were two big one for my in order to be able to make the transition. I'm loving this.

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good. I think Vector is nice but not for beginners. Ubuntu and Mint are VERY easy for beginners.

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I took a long hard look at Mint...and may still try it...but decided to stick with Ubuntu because I had some previous familiarity with it.

I will say one thing though, VL has a more user-friendly install process and partitioning setup than does Ubuntu.

13. ethics

Agreed. But it recognizes less of the drivers than Ubuntu.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Very true.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Why do web pages load so much faster in Linux...regardless of the browser.

16. Biker

17. ethics

Right... Don't listen to him. It works because the chipset and all the communications on the motherboard are used efficiently do the tight kernel and applications compiled for that kernel.

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

You'd think the big OS players could learn a lesson?

19. ethics

Why? Corporations are buying windows OS only, upgrading only to that, so why? /sarcasm