1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Linux Lessons: Let’s Get Started

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, May 12, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

OK. Try this..

When you get the initial screen and it asks you to press enter or give boot parameters, type this in:

linux nomodeset

2. Biker

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

No dice. Hangs at the exact same spot. Attempt at a screen shot.... photo.JPG

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ah hah! Now I am getting somewhere. Disconnected old Yamaha IDE CD-Rom drive.

6. Biker

That's... weird.. What you may want to do is ask in the VL forums and one of the developers will chime in. There's really nothing on your screen that indicates an issue.

That works! Ummmm, why are you still using IDE junk?

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Lazy? Ignorant? If it ain't broke don't replace it. Combination of all three.
    I actually use two CD-ROM drives...well I used to. So that I could copy directly from one CD to another. Haven't used that in years.

The install is going very well by the way. Will post when complete.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Does it matter which system boot manager? I have used GRUB in the past.

9. Biker

Grub is fine.

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I can't thank you enough for your prompt responses tonight.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Is SOHO 32 or 64 bit? And is it Debian-based?

12. Biker

SOHO is 32-bit and it's Slackware based.

13. Biker

GSlapt is used to install packages from the repo. Do NOT update everything in one go. You'll end up with a broken installation. We're in the process of breaking the repo into different parts.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Something is broken with the GUI. None of the windows move properly. I can't re-size, move, or close them. Can't type in any of the dialog boxes, yet CTRL+Q will close most windows. Something is dinked.

15. Biker

Couple of things to look at. First, disable Nepomunk. It could be that it's sucking up all your system resources.

If things don't get better after disabling that #$)(*&@# search function, open terminal, type: top and see if there's anything sucking up all your system resources.

16. Biker

If all that fails to do anything, open a terminal and type VASM. Then rerun the routines that adds your hardware.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

When I booted VL for the first time, I got an error message telling me that KDE Daemon closed unexpectedly and there is a blank black box at the bottom of my screen. If I hover my mouse in it there are some program icons in it.

18. Biker

That's most likely Cairo Dock. You can safely kill it.

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I was trying to figure out a way to describe the problem I am having, but maybe it's better described using one of your screen shots from one of the other threads. See the red border in this screenshot? Well all of my windows only contain what's inside that border. Everything outside is missing. I can't close, minimize, or move windows using the mouse. Plus, when I click on "File" or "Edit" the sub menu disappears as soon as I move my mouse.
    cd1.png

20. Biker

When you ran the installation, did you allow the system to detect everything without having an xorg.conf file? You may need to install the proprietary drivers for your video card.