1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Linux Lessons: Let’s Get Started

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, May 12, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

OK, I'm downloading the images today. I'll run a backup of the machine tonight. I'm away at Scout Camp next week, but I'll have the week after that to pull the trigger.

Then again, I might do it tomorrow.

3. Biker

cmhbob likes this.
  4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

5. cmhbob

Images downloaded and burned to discs. Machine backed up.

Next step?

6. Biker

Are you going to dual boot or just wipe the drive? How much disk space are you allocating to Linux?

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

8. Biker

You need Disc 1 and Disc 2 and then you check the md5sums to ensure the download was good.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That makes sense. Ubuntu fits their entire OS on one disc by the way. :p

10. Biker

Uh huh. A DVD. These are CDs. We're talking about going to DVD for the next release, though.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

12. Biker

Uh huh. And how much downloading do you do afterwards to update and install critical programs? And remember, this is the SOHO version of Vector Linux. It comes with everything you need to hit the ground running without having to triple the installation time downloading programs that should be included to begin with.

If you want light weight, VL Standard and VLocity (64-bit) comes on one CD, as does VL Live.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I'm not looking for light weight and am very excited to give SOHO a try. I was just being a smart-ass prick.

14. cmhbob

Wiping the drive. I did a system image & backup in case I ever want to restore it to Windows.

The one question that keeps coming up in my mind is where do I park all my existing docs/music/etc while all this is going on? That back up is only readable by Windows, I assume.

Dang, I'm getting old and out of practice. I used to know stuff like this.

15. Biker

OK. How did you back things up? Where did you put it? (Linux can read NTFS partitions, so that's not an issue.)

If you have an external drive, copy your documents and music to that.

16. cmhbob

I used the Windows Backup and Restore utility and sent the back to an external drive.

I'll get the docs and such moved over later today.

17. Biker

Once your data is copied over and you're sure you won't have a coronary when the drive gets wiped, slap the install disc in your drive and start the machine.

Personally, I'd allocated about 20-30 GB to root, one or two gig to Swap and let /home have everything else.

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Now I remember why I gave up trying Linux. No matter what flavor I try, I believe my mobo is incompatible with Linux. Or something in my system is. Every time I try to install any flavor, the install just hangs. This particular time (SOHO) it hangs while unpacking Linux. Wish I could post a screen shot. Ubuntu does the same thing. So does Ubuntu Server.

http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/threads/linux-cant-install-from-cd.64232/

19. Biker

Is this before the installation or after?

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Before/During. I never get to even select where to install.