1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited Accounts

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by HaYwIrE, Jan 6, 2003.

1. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

How do I get different applications to work on limited accounts on WinXP Pro?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What's a limited account?

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Unless you install these apps as admin then grant the appropriate authorities to subordinate users this can be a royal pain in the butt.

Even then certain apps still give you grief.

I threw my hands up in disgust and gave all users admin rights on my system at home rather then continue wrestling with it.

XP Home does not have full blown security like XP Pro and likely contributes to the resulting hassle you reference.

I'm sure it can be done and if you have the patience so if you would like me to provide a couple links I have bookmarked at home give me a shout.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I was able to install programs for ALL users to use, but then the limited accounts couldn't really use them. It was such a pain in the butt, I did what midranger did, and gave everyone admin accounts. Then I told them they better not install anything or else I will change their PW and they won't be able to use the computer anymore.

So far, that threat has worked :)

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I agree with Misu and midranger, it's not worth the effort on XP home.

6. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

yep it's a total pain in the butt. i had to give everyone admin rights which is why my computer is always messed up. they keep installing crap and not knowing what they are doing. that's why I gave them an old computer to use and setting up a wireless network. now they can download and install to their hearts content and when they screw it up it ain't my problem!! I figure they will learn pretty quick once they find out ol' dad ain't gonna come fix it for them.

by the way I just got my router and pc card from UPS. I have the router installed and I am checking my internet connection. so far it's working good. now I have to install the card in the other computer so it can connect to the internet.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So the consensus is to stay away from XP Home?

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I wouldn't say that.

I'd say unless your an NT security guru don't play with the security settings because they are problematic for anyone signing on to the system with anything less than admin rights.

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally like XP home, and it works fine. However it's useless if you need to protect your computer from people who don't know what they're doing.

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I had the same problems with home - I use Pro, and it's still a pain in the butt. I honestly cannot tell the difference between Home and Pro. I guess since I'm not a major power user or anything like that, there's no difference?

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

For most computer users, there is no noticeable difference. I like Pro because I use Remote Desktop a lot. I am pretty sure that it is not included in the Home version. In fact, I have an old P2-350 running XP Pro with Remote Desktop turned on. It is my Download/FTP/mIRC machine. It sits in the corner with nothing attached to it but a power cord and an ethernet cable. I connect to it from home and from work. ;)

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

XP PRO allows you to set authorities on specific registry keys by user group and/or specific user. This functionality is quite slick but still needs to be refined imo.

The NT gurus at work are quite good at it but they have told me it is quite cumbersome to maintain at the desktop level.

We use Citrix server which presents the same *locked down* desktop to anyone signing on to the network. But it is a server based solution, not a desktop one.

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have two portables running Seti and use Remote Desktop to control them. Neither one has had the lid opened since the last power outage over four hours.

Pro's extra features are mainly used in a networked environment. For instance, you must have pro to log on to a domain.

But XP is a huge improvement over the 95/98/ME family in stability. IMHO. I got pro for the house for experminentation. Thought I would still be with GE when they went XP. Oh, well.

14. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Remote Desktop is available in XP home but I've yet to use it. Sounds like it could be rather useful as utilized in your case.

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Remote Desktop is available in XP home. I have used it with Microsoft for troubleshooting.

The following was a short tutorial written for me by a member at DSLR. It helped me out a lot.

Windows XP (as with Windows 2000 and NT) has NATIVE support for multiple users. Each user account is 99% INDEPENDENT from ALL the other user accounts. Account A does NOT interfere/mess with Account B. Therefore, when you create your wifes account, she will have her own settings, her own desktop shortcuts, her own desktop background, her own profiles in Outlook Express, her own My Documents, her own Internet Explorer Favorites, her own screen saver, her history in Internet Explorer will be her own, in other words, her own independent computer pretty much.

ONLY Computer wide settings are reflected in all accounts. Example: You change the computer time, ALL of the accounts will have the changed time. You reconfigure a printer in the Hardware Manager, ALL of the accounts will have the change. You install a program like Microsoft Word, ALL the accounts can use Microsoft Word (if you let them). These are system wide settings.

Open up My Computer, double click your main hard drive (usually Local Disk C), then double click "Documents and Settings". In this folder, are more subfolders of all the user accounts on your computer.

For example, if you have the following user accounts: Mom, Dad and The Kids, you will see the following folders,
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Mom"
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad"
    "C:\Documents and Settings\The Kids"

And inside those folders will be each accounts settings and files. For example, Mom's "My Documents" is located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents" and her Favorites are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Favorites". Same with Dad, Dad's "My Documents" are in "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\My Documents" and so on.

This is how Windows XP manages user accounts, a folder for each user. Each users settings (settings from the Registry and whatnot) also reside in the user's repectable folder.

Now, if you install a program in your wifes account, you can log into yours and use it. You don't have to install the same program in each user account. Once it's installed on your computer, it's installed and all user accounts can use it. When you install a program, it's usually installed to the directory of "C:\Program Files\(Program name)", NOT the folder that contains the user accounts.

Now, to create a new user account, go to the Control Panel, and click "User Accounts" > Click "Create a new account" and from there it's quite simple. However, when you get to the point of what TYPE of user account you want it to be, you can choose between "Administrator" or "Limited". It's very simple, "Administrator" has complete access to the computer, whereas "Limited" cannot install programs, change system wide settings, or make any changes outside of their account. HOWEVER, some programs REQUIRE Administrator access to them, and if they do, you have to let your wife be an administrator.

Now, as far as your shortcuts and hers getting mixed up, they wont. The only shortcuts that mix are the "All Programs" shortcuts to programs. For example, go to Start > All Programs. You'll see a list of all installed programs. Now, when you install a program in your wifes account and because when a program installs, ALL user accounts can access it, you see the shrotcut to the program in your All Programs also.

So if you install Program A and DO NOT want to let your wife have access to it, here's what you do.

Go back to "C:\Documents and Settings\". Now, go to the "All Users" folder. Inside this folder are things that all user accounts will see very simply. Now go into "Start menu" and into "Programs". This is where the shortcuts to all your "All Programs" are stored. Simply move Program A from here, to your own user accounts folder. So in essence, you MOVED the shortcut "Program A" from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start menu\Programs" to "C:\Documents and Settings\bruzzes\Start menu\Programs".

As for Corel and Photo Apps, you can personalize her start menu so that only she has the shortcuts to those programs (By moving them from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start menu\Programs" to "C:\Documents and Settings\My Wife\Start menu\Programs") as well as the same thing for her desktop shortcuts. Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\My Wife\Desktop" and put some shortcuts to her favorite shortcuts there.

I hope that's all you need... I can't believe I typed that all.
    --
    If it doesn't work, kick it.