1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lies and damned lies

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by MemphisMark, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I've done standup a couple times in my life. I learned about the comic triple, an example of that is "An Irishman, an Englishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar..."

Then there is the comic triple with a twist. You use the first two to set a pattern ("An Irishman, an Englishman...") but then make that line the joke by doing a non sequitur, thusly: "An Irishman, an Englishman and a Rabbi walk into a bar...".

I want you to watch this video very closely and see if you can spot the "Rabbi."

So, this obviously underage young adult tries to buy tobacco, alcohol and lottery tickets from Stop-N-Robs (Memphis term for Convenience Store) . Then he buys a rifle at a gun show "on the first try."

Did you see the "Rabbi"? There's actually two there. First, the attempted alcohol and tobacco purchases were from businesses which are bound by state and federal law to prohibit selling to minors. The "sale at a gun show" the voiceover even stated, "bought it from a private seller..." which reinforces the "gunshow loophole" meme. If the kid had tried, I'd give a 50/50 chance he could have gotten some "Lucy's" (individual cigarettes) from someone there. It's never stated or implied that the transaction could have been performed anywhere.

Now, what did he buy? That's the second "Rabbi." It certainly wasn't an AR-15. If you know what to look for, you can see it's probably a Marlin .22 rimfire 7-shot bolt-action rifle. The kind of rifle that when I was that kid's age we kept in our rooms (with the ammunition right next to it!). We would routinely go into the woods around our housing development and shoot squirrels and cans (I lived in a rural area). It was an expected and routine step in our transition from boy to man. We were filled with the rules of firearm safety and had to demonstrate a good amount of responsibility before we would find it under the Christmas tree. A .22 rimfire is barely a step above the 760 Crossman BB gun a kid would get at 10 years old.

I'll bet they tried at least once at that gun show to get something like an AR-15 and always came up empty.

You will not make the news as a School Mass Shooter with a 7-shot bolt action rimfire. You can kill someone with a .22 rimfire, if you shoot them at close range in the eye or into the soft spot at the back of the head where the spinal column meets the skull. Those are about the only two spots in the head where the skull bones are thin enough to not stop the bullet from getting to something vital. Hell, to consistently kill squirrels with a .22 you need to be a really good shot.

2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

That's one favorite assassination method if I am to believe the spy novels I've read (and enjoyed). Get one of those lady .22 semi-autos and walk up behind the target and one shot through the cranium as you described. I hear the little .22 doesn't have enough power to escape the skull so it bounces a few times, scrambling the victim's brains. It also makes little noise with such a small load and in any event a .22 travels under the speed of sound (no shock wave) although the assassin would be wearing gloves (the "ick" factor) and presumably would be only 1-2 inches away. Then toss the gloves and gun and hasta la bye bye.

That's if you don't have an umbrella and some polonium.

By the way, you forgot 'statistics.' ;)

3. MemphisMark

No, I didn't. ;)

Try a clear spray-on plastic barrier on your hand, coated with a certain chemical designed to cause heart arrhythmia combined with a transdermal delivery chemical. You touch the targets skin for about 4 seconds (like shaking hands) and about 3-5 minutes later, the target drops dead. Two kids with squirt guns (one loaded with roach killer, the other with DMSO) spray the target on the same spot, 90 seconds later they guy is dead as a Murf from nerve agent.

No, I don't know anything about stuff like this.

4. Susan Addams

Yeah, binary chemical weapons are kewl! :)

All the two assassins have to do is avoid contact with each other. Two kids playing with squirt guns, then they run away, then a guy has a heart attack. By the time they figure out it was an assassination all anybody remembers is two kids.

The polonium umbrella tip was pretty kewl too.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm glad I don't live next door to you two! ;)

6. Susan Addams

And you never heard of the movie "Arsenic and Old Lace" did you? ;)

Sometimes people need killing. Mark seems to think about it a lot. He and I seem to have a thing going about finding suitable punishment for more than the usual crimes. Well he does the thinking and I do the instigating! :p

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

Mark, you should talk to Sirhan Sirhan about that.

And if you could find any of the pros that under certain tactical circumstances have specifically chosen to use modified .22. and .25 caliber handguns to kill people with gunshots to the head they too would find your conclusions puzzling.

8. MemphisMark

Sirhan's shot caught RFK around the aural canal (ear), which, like the eye and temple, has thin bones (and a natural bone funnel to the brain) that a .22 can penetrate at close range. I said, "Those are about the only two spots..." I was intending the concept of "close range, thin skull bones to access and damage the brain or it's major support components." I specifically listed the two best entries. BTW, it took RFK 26 hours to die after taking that bullet, not the best choice of target. The longer they live after the shot, the chances of survival and recovery go up.

I never suggest anyone have a .25 handgun. If you have it, you might load it. If you load it, you might carry it. If you carry it, you might shoot someone with it. If you shoot someone with it and they find out that you shot them... ;)

Susan Addams likes this.
  9. MemphisMark

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you! Everyone around me is perfectly safe, I am by no means a trigger happy psychopath. This information and methods are intended for those who present as a threat to me and mine.

Susan Addams and Allene like this.
  10. Susan Addams

Sorry Arc, all my research indicates Mark is dead on.

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

Well Mark, gosh darn, since you obviously didn't read all of what I wrote you might check with to start, the Israeli Mossad. Their "commandos" and "assassins" as well as top secret Sky Marshall program used, liked and killed more than a few folks with their Beretta .22 caliber handguns. That goes back a few years that I know of so in the years since I've lost touch or faded into retirement oblivion they may have dispensed with the widespread use. But I would be surprised if they did not still use .22 caliber handguns for specific situations that included for certain circumstances, headshots.

Of course, that's just the .22 LR and not the .22 magnum pistol round. The .22 magnum handgun round has the performance of a .380 caliber standard round.

Don't have a connection with the Mossad? Google is your friend on the subject, (regarding the weapon/caliber/situations/users.) Remember we are talking specific situations! A question of a specific tool for a specific job. (Poor mechanics always blame their tools.)

By the way, the single head wound to RFK was the cause of death, not his other wounds.

Related but different topic: Although not a pistol, have you seen the HK MP7? Highly effective lethal 4.6mm (.18 caliber) personal defense weapon. Punches right through standard body armor.

Moving back on topic: You may have the last word on the topic if you wish to exercise it, as I will now bow out of this topic. Probably, anyway. :)

12. MemphisMark

When explaining different calibers to people without firearms expertise, I describe it in terms of a target's bullseye. Of course, a lot is lost in translation, this is more for scale, not exactness or placement.

A "one-shot stop" (since you are supposed to "shoot to stop," not "shoot to kill") the spot you have to hit for a .45ACP round is about the size of your fist, either to the center of the chest or the head. A Magnum round is about the size of a coffee saucer. A .22 is about the size of a quarter. You can do it, but you have to be a great shot to put it where it needs to go.

Unfortunately, nowadays I have to keep my firearms knowledge on the conceptual level, if I get too hands on... Let's just say it would not end well for me.

13. Susan Addams

A few of us have read your signature. Let's just hope you are psychiatrically stable. I prefer governmental change by means of the voting box.

When I discuss ammo I think of loads, weight and and type of round, muzzle velocity, kinetic energy. Noting that .45 ACP and .22 are often subsonic, where most other loads are not.

Noting that if using semi-auto you want to have a means to catch your brass. I think the ideal close in assassination weapon would be perhaps a Derringer type weapon with two .22 LR rounds. You'd be a screw-up if you needed the second round. You would be wearing gloves, your weapon clean (a tosser), a new, disposable jacket, and dump the weapon in the first trash can, jacket in second trash can, then give special care to the gloves since they have your prints on the inside. Perhaps carry a lighter and a can of lighter fluid to obliterate the gloves.

There are imperfections in my plot since you might be shedding trace evidence (DNA) in the jacket, although the jacket might not be connected to the crime. For sure it would have GSR.