1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License Plates Must Play Fair

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 1, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This story tells how a federal judge has ruled the state of SC cannot offer an anit-abortion tag unless it also offers a pro choice tag. Hope this is upheld.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, Florida has an anti-abortion tag - it's called "Choose Life". I wonder if this SC ruling will inspire someone to challenge this tag here.

3. ShinyTop

hopefully

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Simple, really. People just need to start manufacturing plates of their own...

<center>CHOOSE DEATH
    LIBERAL
    Florida</center>

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I think it would be even better if people would stop advertising their politics, religions, sexual orientations, etc. on their automobiles.

6. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

What happened to free speech here? :huh:

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

The US Supreme Court ruled in March 2001 that the KKK may participate in the Adopt-A-Highway program in Missouri... and in Sioux City, SD the "Sioux City Gay and Lesbian Coalition" finally won approval to adopt a highway after noting that the state which does not allow "advocacy groups" to adopt a highway had approved applications by the "College Republicans", the "Yankton County Democrats", the "Wheat Growers Association", and the "Animal Rights Advocates of South Dakota".

One thing I have learned (in my own state anyway) is that the members of the various far-left-wing and far-right-wing groups who fight to put up the signs do not actually clean up the roadside themselves... they usually hire people or businesses to do it for them. All they really want or care about is to have thier name on a few roadway signs promoting their agenda.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I find this sediment kind of refreshing. I'm sure you're sick of Hollywood advertising their liberal political leanings. No one is stopping free speech, RR is just expressing his feelings over people pushing their agendas on everyone else.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I think people advertising their political agenda on their
    automobiles is asking for trouble. With the instances of
    "road rage" as they are, we might be wise to consider
    not forcing our views down other people's throats.

I am all for free speech.
    I'm not looking for a fight.

10. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

rotflmfao!! haywire you crack me up! :)

11. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I'm just gonna keep this one for safe keeping. ;)

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Haywire,

You will not find a bumper sticker on my car or a political sign on my lawn. I have no want to push people into a political discussion who don't want one. Of course, here, I would expect people who come to a political discussion forum would want to talk politics.

I could be wrong though.

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Holy Shit! POLITICS?! I KNEW that travel agent was lying!

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Actually, I like the idea of having a anti-choicer label themselves. Saves me the time of whether I want to be nice or a total asshole on the road with them.

Bring it on.

15. ShinyTop

Ethics, I love it.

16. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yup, the conservatives can do that same...

<center><font size="4">THE ONLY CHOICE IS OUR CHOICE</font>

<font size="8"><b>CONSERVATIVE</b></font>

<font size="3">Texas</font></center></font>

17. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Hey, if you or anyone else wants to crap up their car with bumper stickers, Jesus fishes, etc., be my guest. I just think it looks very tacky. And with something as controversial as abortion, you are going to have a lot of people who hate seeing your message displayed on your car. I wouldn't want my shiny, black car parked at Wal*Mart with a political message on it. It is an invitation for someone to scratch it with their keys.

I don't see how this is a freedom of speech issue anyway. License plates are issued by the states, and they don't have to put anything on them if they don't want to. After all, they already censor the actual license numbers to avoid people with "KKK4EVR" or "IH8JEWS" as their numbers.

If somebody wants to put a message on his or her car, they can get a bumper sticker. I don't see why any state would make a plate such as the one being discussed in this thread.

18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Ethics,

We have ways of dealing with liberals full of road rage ;)

19. jamming

jamming Banned

Better get your weapon's permit if you come to Florida with that attitude NY wussy boy. ;) Rednecks and Catholics in this state are heavily armed when someone cuts them off, one less snow bird. As long as they are not over the limit its all good with Floridians. We are getting pretty tired of hearing words like chad and the jokes, from you darnyankees. :_

20. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Liberals are different? :huh:

Seriously, I'm all for them allowing anything anyone wants to put there. Let baby-killers make a plate, too. I don't see what the big deal is. Why'd they have to go and stop free speech instead of just practicing their own?