1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Libya

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Curious thing. I've just asked Jenan Moussa this morning how she and others in Libya feel about Russia and Arab Spring (note, I didn't say anything about US). She is a reporter in Libya and covered the whole thing at a huge personal risk to herself. She just replied:

[​IMG]

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Ding ding ding! And NOW we have a winner.

3. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

So, you have to be reporter in Lybia to understand Russia and its motives? Nice logic )

Have I to find 5 more professional journalists in Lybia with opposite opinion towards Russia or you will understand that her opinion is not an argument at all by yourself? :)

Its just some letters on the screen. Where have you seen hysteria?

Dont be naive, are there puppet government in Cuba, which allows U.S. to use Guantanamo military base on Cubian territory? :)
    Russia still had some influence on ex-USSR territories in begining of 00s, so it agreed to use that old bases, provided its airspace and didn't mind against american presence in middle asia... In exchange it got a increasing supplies of cheaper heroin. Thank you very much. As to Uzbekistan, several years after it stopped colorful revolution on its territory (which you greeted as usual) so Uzbekistan spoiled its relations with West but improved them with Russia.

So in state where U.S. invaded it couldn't do anything without permission of Afghanis?

Have I to remind you that you made large help to Northen Aliance in fighting with Taliban. Was you able to set support conditions for them not to grow opium in such scales? I guess you would get UN support immediately.

4. Copzilla

Kind of like having to be a Russian shill to understand the US and its motives.

Never ever see any irony in anything you post, do you? It's amazing you can tie your shoes.

5. Andrey

In my posts I just compared the declarations and reality and asked if it's a hypocrisy or probably you have different explanation. I've been to U.S. only several times and have no illusions that it could be enough to understand U.S. internal politics, societ and motives, certainly no. So I've just asked the question.

As to people who aren't interested in any discussion (it seems you are one of them) I would advise them to GFY.

6. ethics

So to summarize Russia's and US foreign policy. both countries are doing what's best for their countries. Being that US is much more influential today, Russians have issues with America.

7. Chui

Chui Full Member

That was/is always been the plan. It's the "New Middle East" (Map) being realized before your very eyes.

8. Copzilla

Whose plan?

9. ethics

China and Russia vetoed on the UN resolution vis-a-vis Syria.

It's no coincidence you got two shills here in this thread, one from China and one from Russia. But they are just concerned "citizens". ;)

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Chui is coming in from the US.

11. ethics

Geographically....

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Cuba aren't "allowing" US to use Guantanamo, the US "owns" it. We took it in the Spanish-American War fair and square, or unfair and dirty, and I'm sure Cuba would dearly have the US abandon the base and leave Cuba, but we aren't going to and Cuba can't make us. Perhaps Cuba is a puppet government but it's not the puppet of the US. We already tried to overthrow their government, perhaps intending to install our own puppet government, but it didn't work out well for US and it didn't succeed.

(Please note that my explanation above was a very abbreviated gloss of the historic basis for why the US controls Guantanamo Bay and has a military base there. It's the best I could do in a couple sentences.)

Perhaps I've misunderstood you since you're not always easy to understand. And perhaps my comments above are incorrect since I'm a pretty poor student of history. But if you're implying that US has use of Guantanamo Bay because Russia (or USSR) allowed that, then you're plain wrong (or I'm plain wrong--as I said I'm not very good at history).

The heroin thing isn't working out well for any nation at the end of the distribution chain, not Russia, not US. I'm sure the US would put an end to it if there was any way to accomplish that without unleashing something worse. As much as US would like we are not able to achieve miracles.

If it were up to me the US would napalm the world's poppy fields no matter where they are and damn the consequences. We're probably lucky I'm not running US foreign policy, because as I said I think worse problems than flooding the world with heroin would follow.

13. Copzilla

Yeah, that's a real shocker...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-04/russia-s-un-veto-on-syria-measure-gives-assad-license-to-kill-.html

Russia’s UN Veto on Syria Measure Gives Assad ‘License to Kill’

I guess if we own the atrocities in Libya, then surely Andrey would give credit for all the Syrian atrocities to Russia. Oh, wait... Nevermind, that would require being capable of introspection.

One of which is having an election come up, which is kinda turning out badly for the old guard.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203711104577202643644716850.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Thousands Rally Against Putin

Oh noes! There's that democracy again!!! ZOMG! Time to kill some journalists...

14. Andrey

I know this history, you didn't understand my irony.
    Actually we spoke about Uzbekistan with ethics and I've offered contrary-example.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

I don't understand half of what you post, and about as often your motivation for doing so.

Oh well, forget it.

16. Andrey

Unofortunately KGB and Putin forget to pay me for some reason, so my motivation is close to yours. :)

Why do you post here? To entertain, to learn something new, to socialize. The same is right towards me, I also try to practise foreign language.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

No, I didn't mean "why do you post here?" I meant "why are you motivated to say those specific posts." I'm sure there isn't any answer, but that's okay with me. I was wondering about your agenda.