1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Two things.

1. It's not Egypt. Qaddafi falls that country is going to be in a bigger mess than before in every way.
    2. Get ready for high oil prices. Oil hit over 100 today and there's already predictions of $5 dollars per gallon this summer.
  2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

That's been my concern all along. Qaddafi has been quiet ever since Reagan bombed him twice, and what follows may not be democracy. That said, I want him to go down, preferably in a death match against the enraged mobs.
  3. Premier

Premier Well-Known Member

Another part of the chess board, people fed up with dictators and their brutal regimes.

And Islam.
  4. ethics

Neither egypt nor lybia were all that islamic though.
  5. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

He's hunkering down for a fight. I wonder if the West can do anything to help the protestors - this might be a good time to make friends and influence people.
  6. Throttlejockey™

Throttlejockey™ Well-Known Member

Iran would be itching for the US to go in, in any form
  7. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

You're right - we don't want to play into anyone's hands. Many analysts were recommending a no-fly zone, but, now that pilots are defecting, we want a fly zone. I'd like to help the protestors, but I'm not sure how.
  8. ethics

US needs to stay the fuck out.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Amen, amen, amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like we need any more involvements in the Middle East than we already have.
  10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I find two things very interesting in this situation:

1. It seems to have come out of nowhere. Libya experts will disagree, I'm sure, but to this casual observer, this is happening for almost no reason at all.

2. The speed with which the opposition is taking over the country and the highly visible military defections clearly show that Kaddafi has lost the support of the military.
  11. Premier

An Australian television news reporter was the first from foreign media to arrive, he said this morning that the people greeted his team with enormous warmth and enthusiasm, they want their situation to be broadcast to the world. No surprise.
  12. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

13. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Exactly. A US news reporter said he and his crew were greeted as if it were WWII and they were liberating them from the Nazis. The crowd were so grateful that news agencies were getting the word out about what was going on in Libya and how the people were declaring freedom from the 'mad dictator'.
  14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You know what?

There's no reason for this, other than pure, speculative greed.

Libya's production of 1.6 million barrels per day is just under 2% of the total global oil production.

Two. Percent.

How much did oil futures rise yesterday?

Pure, unbridled greed.

If Alighieri lived today, there'd be several more circles of Hell, one of which would be devoted completely to commodities traders.
  15. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Any regime that would gain power after our involvement would be poisoned from the start. They would have the entire Arab world saying they were US puppets. Let them wallow in their own muck. And to borrow a line from Sarah Palin, in reference to ANWR, drill baby drill.
  16. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

17. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

And like most dictators, we discover what Mo is most frightened of...

18. Premier

That's part of the weapon of mass destruction of dictators.
  19. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

20. Premier

Behave like a person detached from reality, as I just viewed in interview with various foreign media people.

Looked like Hussein's media manager. There are no US troops or tanks in Baghdad.