1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liars!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Doctors will swear up one side and down the other that cold weather does not contribute to colds and flus.

Why then, I humbly ask, does the influenza season not start in June?

<small>Yes, I'm sick, one of the girls is sick, I have to give training today with a sore throat and cloudy mind. Boo hoo for me!</small>

2. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Awww...feel better soon!

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Sorry you're not feeling well Steve. Actually January is summer for ditch and John et. al. Not that this helps you much ;)

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

It's not the cold weather, but the confining indoors with poor ventilation of masses of people. Particularly those spent the summer apart -- kids.

When I come down with the sniffles I either stay home or if I must go to work I warn others and attempt to keep my germs to myself. For the most part this works. Kids are expected to go to school no matter what and actively spread disease amongst themselves to bring home to the adults.

If you have come down with something the odds are that you either have school aged kids or associate with someone who does -- and the kid is the disease carrier.

When I got married my incidents of colds and flus went up noticibly. Fortunately I had also quit smoking so they did not slam me quite as hard.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Same boat for me. Actually, first day that the fever is below 100. Not even sure it was the FLU but man did I feel like shit.

6. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Interesting. Since I quit smoking I find I get more colds and flu bugs -- they hit harder and last longer. Perhaps it's because my kids are now in school, while they weren't when I was a smoker.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've noticed the same thing. Since quitting, although my sinuses are clear all the time, I do seem to be catching more cold and flu bugs. I wonder if the chemicals in cigarette smoke kill the viruses and bacteria, or at least the weaker ones? When I got sick when I smoked, I was really and truly sick. Now it's more frequent, but the severity is way down; maybe a day or two of just feeling crappy, but not much worse than that....

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

ah, ze french paradox strikes again.

nurse, gimme a gauloise and a scotch, STAT!

;)

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

In all seriousness, I'm a big fan of getting stinking drunk when I'm really ill. I believe the elevated BAC kills a lot of the wee beasties.....and if it doesn't, at least I've got a nice buzz going to offset the illness symptoms ;)

10. ethics

I tried that very same thing, stevent, on Sunday. Was over my parents and my dad got out an old pepper vodka from Ukraine. Sort of something like this by Nemiroff but can't find one on the web that sells pepper vodka (This vodka is made using traditional methods combining natural flower honey, red hot peppers and a careful blend of meadow herbs.)

Works wonders on the sinuses, and the throat was feeling awesome. Unfortunately, the next day, I was back to the old sick self. :(

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

When flu season hits, wash your hands more frequently and try to avoid rubbing your eyes or putting things like pens in your mouth, and try to keep from swiping at your nose without tissue paper.

I read a few months back an article about a study performed by the US Military regarding flu season. They had 1 group (the control group) with the flu shot, and the other group was told to wash their hands at least 5 times a day. They didn't even have to use anti-bacterial soap, just regular soap and warm water. But they had to wash their hands for more than 30 seconds at a time, get the suds going, and wash their hands really well. Then they had a third group who did nothing at all, just do the same they always did. They had to do this for something like 2 months or so (Don't remember exactly)

The group with the flu shot, of course, had the least number of flu people with the flu. Didn't stop people from getting a cold, though.

The group that didn't wash their hands had the highest cases of flu and cold.

The group that did wash their hands had almost the same number of flu cases as those with the flu shot (very low), and had the lowest number of cold cases.

Also, use a hand lotion after you wash your hands. Soap can kill your skin. ANd disinfect your work area. 2 or 3 nights ago, I saw a quick blurb on one of the news channels that the average work area has 400 times more bacteria than a public toilet seat. It's also the area in the office that has the highest number of bacteria - even beats the copy machine. So wipe down your work areas (even the ones at home), including the keyboard and mouse, and you'll find you won't get sick as often or as severely.

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

You have to keep drinking it until you recover or die. Don't stop.

13. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ethics, that was because you did not follow up with the proper beer chaser which is reviewed here by an obvious wuss:

"Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer Black Mountain Brewing Co

I bought this for the novelty, because it has a chili floating in it. I thought it would be neat...it turns out it's to warn off anybody who wants to try it as a novelty! I poured this beer last night while sitting down with a bowl of chili, took one sip, and almost died. It tastes EXACTLY like liquefied, extra-hot, chili. Which is the last taste you want when drinking beer. This was absolutely undrinkable!!! (also note: There is a light version of this that I will NEVER review. EVER! Nor will we respond to requests to review it.) I hope this brewery goes out of business before they pollute the earth with more of their malted monstrosities. THIS BEER SUCKS!!!"

Now, I a real man like yourself can take a little gustatory pain and enjoy the beneficial heat that a good chili provides. I have tried this refreshing brew and it has a nice 'crisp' bite to it. I would imagine you could get the same effect by sucking on the exhaust of an Apache while Steve fires up the engine ;)

14. ethics

LOL!!!!

Mike, you had me rolling.

The Nemiroff Vodka is not spicey like that and goes down nice and smooth. As a matter of fact, the touch of honey is what makes it nice. It doesn't go down as alcohol either, and tastes nothing like regular vodka. It leaves a nice burning sensation as it goes down and a few seconds of clearing your throat and your sinuses. :)

15. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Kids absolutely spread those viruses, and then everyone in the house gets it.
    My daughter had a virus over the weekend, and her friend Amber couldn't come over to play, because her mom didn't want Amber getting sick. Absolutely logical and understandable, and fine for everyone (except the 7-year-olds who had to miss out on their playdate).
    This morning, my daughter was feeling much better, so I brought her to school. The kids (on cold days) assemble in the gym while waiting for the first bell to go to their classrooms.
    Here's the scene in gym. Amber is hugging Julie, while Nyomi plays with Alice's hair. Ashley is feeling Brandon's loose tooth, while Pamela and Keyla share a muffin. Jules and Malik start pushing each other, then wrestle for a minute, until Malik bites Jules on hand. Jules puts the bitten hand in his mouth. Miles is picking his nose, then reaches in his backpack (with the same hand) to show Tyler his new Jimmy Neutron pencil box.
    They're filthy little creatures, and all the filth gets shared around.
    I washed my hands as soon as I got to work ;)

16. ethics

LMAO! Great scenery, joseftu, and it IS just like that. The petri dish, is the euphemism for school, isn't it? ;)

17. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I'm on the downhill side of the flu... I had my flu shot but the doctor said it was a different strain... He prescribed flumadine and it has seemed to lessen the effects of the flu... I hated the first couple of days, with the fever and chills and the aches... :(

BDD... :{)

18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Guys, everyone who wants to prevent flu and colds needs to re-read Misu's post. She was dead-on correct. Washing your hands regularly, cleaning door handles, watching coughs, sneezes and sniffles, all very effective ways of preventing colds and flu.

Quitting smoking assists your immune system, and makes you much more resistant to any virus. Drinking temporarily lowers your immune system resistance, although it may make you feel better for a bit.

And kids are nothing but little germ bags. I love kids, but they're some grubby, filthy little creatures. Wash after playing with them.

19. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

;) Noisy little virus magnets! All of them! ;)

20. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Saadam is not the only one with WMDs! Kids are walking germ warfare labs. ;)