1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letters To...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Does anyone know the meaning of some of those words there in the Arab News like Umrah and Tawah?

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Q. Islam is a very logical religion, but there are certain things that we accept without knowing the reason for which they are given. May I ask why men are allowed to marry four wives. I was told that this is because the number of women is greater as compared to the number of men. Is that so?

Zaynab

A. Where God or the Prophet states a reason for a particular ruling, then we are certain of the rationale behind that ruling. In such case, where the cause is not applicable, the ruling may not be applicable either. On the other hand, many rulings are given without any particular reason mentioned for them. In such a case, we may only assume the reason on the basis of our understanding. We say that what we come up with is a possible reason, without claiming it as a certainty.

Neither God nor the Prophet has told us the reason for permitting men to have up to four wives at the same time. Therefore we cannot attach this permission to any particular reason. We may say, however, that this ruling has certain benefits, providing solution to a number of social problems. Take for example the case of a woman who has some chronic illness which makes her unable to meet some of her marital duties. Her husband may not wish to divorce her, but he needs that fulfillment.

Allowing him a second wife serves the interests of both man and wife. A man may also dearly wish to have children, but his wife is incapable of giving him children. Do we insist that he divorces his wife in order to marry another woman who can bear him children, or allow him to retain his wife and marry a second one?

The reason you have been given is not a universal situation. It may happen in certain communities in different periods of time. If it does, polygamy is a good solution. If not, there is bound to be less polygamy in a society where men and women are equal in number, or where men are less than women.

Sex in marital relation

Q. In one of your answers, you expressed your view that anal sex between man and wife is forbidden. However, Verse 223 of Surah 2 seems to permit whatever a man and wife wish to do. May I suggest that your view contradicts this verse, unless you are relying on a Hadith which I do not know. Please comment.

M. Boodan

A. First of all, in matters of permissibility and prohibition, we do not express personal views. We only state what God has legislated. This is because the authority to prohibit anything belongs to God alone. He makes this clear to us, either through the Quran, His own word, or through the Prophet in authentic Hadith.

The verse to which the reader refers clearly indicates that sex is permitted only in the womans genital organ. The verse may be translated as follows: Your wives are your tilth; go, then, to your tilth as you may desire, but prepare well for yourselves and fear God. In his commentary on the Quran, Sayyid Qutb writes: The use of the Arabic word harth, rendered here as tilth, with its connotations of tillage and production, is most fitting, in a context of fertility and procreation. Within this healthy, warm and conducive atmosphere, couples may seek each others comfort in any manner that will give them the greatest and most fulfilling pleasure. Sexual fulfillment must, therefore, be sought as part of an overall objective which serves to please God, and is beneficial to the individuals concerned.

As you see, the emphasis in the Quranic expression, reflected in the commentary, is on procreation. True, sexual pleasure is acceptable as a fulfillment of a natural desire, but it is intertwined with the procreative aspect. Even when the verse refers to how we should approach sex, it speaks of tilth, which refers to procreation. Needless to say, anal sex does not fit in this context at all.

Besides, several Hadiths confirm this in very clear terms. A man came to the Prophet and asked him whether it was permissible to have sex with his wife from behind. The Prophet answered in the affirmative. As the man was on his way out, the Prophet called him back and said: Consider what I have said: from behind, but in the front. I suppose nothing could be clearer than this. In another Hadith, the Prophet mentions ten sinful actions that are tantamount to disbelief. One of these is anal sexual intercourse with women. I suppose no expression of prohibition could be stronger than describing an action as tantamount to disbelief.

Funny, I never remembered letters like these to Dear Abby.

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

That is a freaking scary link. I am not sure if this is funny or sad. How am I supposed to take anybody seriously who still believes this stuff?

wapu

5. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Like many of the teachings in the Bible, you'll note that many of the "<i>rules</i>" that Allah <small>(OR GOD)</small> set for us all to live by were beneficial to men and not very beneficial to women.

For this, and many other reasons, I have reached the conclusion that the Bible and the Quran were both written <b>BY</b> men and <b>FOR</b> men.

The same holds true for just about any <small>(IF NOT ALL)</small> organized religion on the planet. Good intentions mixed with male greed and male dominance. Nothing more. Nothing less.

But, that's just <b>my</b> opinion. I <b>could</b> be wrong. :_

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go beat my wife. Dinner sucked.

6. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

My post was kind of an inside joke to myself. I had posted those words exactly at a mormon site a couple days ago. I also posted a very similar thing about a Catholic fundamentalist site i had visited. Once again, haywire has made sense without being overly abrasive. This is the new you.;)

wapu

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hey! Equal opportunity bash post!

Kudos!

And yes, I totally agree. To think that women became legitimate voters in this country a some decades ago is scary to me and makes you realize how insidious this paternal thinking is in the society.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

You know, if I were straight and lived in Texas, you and I would probably be best friends. It is scary how often I agree with your posts.

I was on the road several hours over the weekend(visiting family), and I spent some time pondering religion. I have, once again, come to the conclusion that religion is a social disease. I know that must sound horribly offensive to some of you, but I have to be honest. It has claimed millions of lives over the centuries, and it continues to this day. Why do people INSIST on pushing their religious beliefs onto others? I watched a Christian Coalition thing on cable last week, and some lady minister went on and on about how, "we must reclaim our nation's schools and put prayer and Jesus back in." Umm, no thanks. If you want to brainwash your kids, do it on your own time and with your own money. When will religious people understand that no matter what their beliefs are, there are far more people on this planet who think their religion is wrong. The United States is very diverse with many different faiths, and for the Christian Coalition to imply that THEIR religion should be taught in public schools just goes to show you how intolerant these people are of others' beliefs(or in my case, nonbeliefs). It's a "our religion is right and yours is stupid" way of thinking that is going to get a lot more people on this planet killed. How do we rid ourselves of this plague?