1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk thread splitting.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by -Ken, Dec 12, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Due to the recent thread splitting decision, I thought we should chat about how the membership would like to handle the subject.

First, if I may, a few of my thoughts...

Having reviewed quote a few thread today, I realized we have a tendency to stray from the topic at hand. I see this as more along the lines of a conversation at a dinner party rather than a formal debate. This is not to say the debate format is bad or that we need to ignore the concept of a centered discussion but quite frankly, I don't see how it would be possible for me to slice each thread into little bits as the direction changes.

From my perspective fragmenting discussions into smaller and smaller bits is going to make it really hard to keep continuity.

But, heck, what do I know.
    What do you all think?

From my perspective fragmenting discussions into smaller and smaller bits is going to make it really hard to keep continuity.

But, heck, what do I know.
    What do you all think?

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I think we spend far too much time on organizational, methodological and procedural trivia and not enough discussing really important things, like sex.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Personally, I think we do not do enough of splits on this forum, but that's just my biased opinion. :)

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I think you need to have that stuttering problem addressed :)

Thread splits? I'm indifferent about them although it does appear thread hijacking is becoming more commonplace.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Threads should be split where appropriate. Nuff said. NEXT!

SM

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I punish any misbehaving tropical fish from my 55 gallon fresh water aquarium by putting them in my toilet's reservoir tank.

This way they don't actually get flushed but they get the general idea I ain't messing around.

Never seen a fish that didn't change it's attitude after a couple hours in the tank.

Who says fish are stupid?

7. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Ditto. I think sometimes it might be necessary to split a thread so that the topic does not go too far off in other directions. This should be considered in respect to the person who started the topic and those who are following the substance of the thread. Other issues come up and can go off in a whole nother direction...threads then need to be split. I would not want to offend anyone if I ever felt the need to have to do this and would love for everyone to agree on this topic. Let's hear from everyone....this way we can come to a final conclusion and get this one behind us in a civilized manner :)

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Violet,

Clearly the topic is how to correctly discipline tropical fish.

I think it might be time for a split here so I can get some much needed input on how to handle my out of control parakeet.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

DO the same to the bird, Mid. You will be surprised what a little toilet flushing does for the discipline of the bird.

Just pull him out before he gets sucked in to the tube. Lost too many that way.

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Seems I'm surrounded by moderators in this thread :)

Hmmmm.....