1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's reignite the Intel vs AMD debate

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Well, not really. Starting to think about getting a desktop machine (I'm sick of playing SWTOR at minimum graphics!), and I'm seeing Ryzen machines for a fraction of the cost of an Intel machine.

I've been kinda out of it for a while regarding new tech as far as CPUs go. Sure, there's the new 7th generation "Core" processors from Intel, but I haven't heard much about AMD's Ryzen line. There's a few bits I've seen here and there that are claiming AMD has claimed the top of the ladder again, but I haven't seen much in my feeds at all regarding them.

So, what's the scuttlebutt on the Ryzen processors? Good? Better than Intel?

2. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I don't keep up much with hardware anymore either, but I've read a little bit about the new CPU's and most seem to think they have almost caught up with Intel.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Laptop or desktop?

4. Biker

Desktop.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Cybertron PC. 6th Generation i7 and AMD RX480m graphics. While it's not something that's going to be top of the line, it's something I can expand later on down the road. Notebook wouldn't give me that flexibility.

This poor ol' ASUS notebook is beginning to show signs of its age. Going on 5 years and little things are starting to crop up that tell me I need to start seriously looking at a replacement. I can't complain as I only paid 450 bucks (Canadian) for it, and it's a refurb. I've gotten a TON of use out of this rig.

5. Biker

Either the description was wrong in the ad, or they screwed up when they built this thing. Instead of coming with a RX480M, it came with a full blown ASUS RX 480. SCHWEET!!!!!

Now I'm waiting for the monitor to show up.

Last edited: May 13, 2017