1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lee Eun-ju commits suicide

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Plunge, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Plunge

Plunge Passed Away July 20, 2007

For those that enjoy Korean movies, this is truly sad. In her rambling suicide note, she blames part of it on her last movie, Scarlet Letter. It was a truly disturbing movie and her role would have been difficult for anyone to play, I was rather shocked she did it. The role seems to have very disturbing to her.

Her most famous role was probably in TaeKukGi, the Korean War movie hit.

Anyway, to understand the impact, it would be like one of our bright, young actresses, one who seems to have everything with no problems, suddenly killing herself.

Truly sad.

Lee Eun-ju
    November 16, 1980 - February 22, 2005
  2. Colin

Colin life victorious

I finally saw Tae Guk Ki over the weekend. She did a great job with her part. I was shocked to hear of this!!!

I guess she got some static for racy scenes in her latest movie... but is that what really drove her over the edge??? What a tragic waste.
  3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Talented, beautiful, rich, famous, dead at 24. That's worth pondering on.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Answer to your question, at least psychologically, is no. There usually are more things going on for people to circumvent the human trait for survival.
  5. Plunge

I have to agree, one thing didn't cause this. It was probably just the proverbial 'final straw.'

It has brought up some serious discussion on movies, managers and contracts in Korea. Seems that when she signed on to making The Scarlet Letter, she really had no idea what she was getting into.

In Korea, a script might say 'bed scene' which can range from being next to someone in full pajamas to a demented scene like some of the ones in the movie she was just in. It is the managers job to ferret out the proper information to help their client make an informed decision. Unfortunately, most managers in Korea just see the dollar signs.

The Scarlet Letter
    would be a disturbing movie if made in the US. Coming from Korea, it is totally shocking. It was very disturbing to her fans who let her know via the thousands of messages left on fan websites. She was on record on more than one occasion saying how much she regretted making the film. Added with whatever else was going on in her life, it seems that it was just too much for her.

Truly, truly sad.
  6. ethics

What was the sex scene like?
  7. Plunge

The whole movie is about a policeman, his rather frigid wife, and a music instructor (Lee Eun-ju), his mistress. It is more than one scene, it is throughout the entire movie and the demented part is the end, flashes of sex with the policeman locking himself and his wife in the trunk of the car, scenes of the mistress beating him over the head with a statue, trying to kill him and thenthe wife, finally blowing her head off in the trunk of the car with the husband's gun. Very strange, very disturbing, very morbid.

The sex scenes (through out the entire movie) are very graphic, would pull at least an NC-17 rating here in the US, something unheard of for mainstream actors to do in Korea.

I should have probably said the demented part was the end, a mix of extreme violence and sex.

Throw in the twist that the wife and mistress have been homosexual lovers, completely unacceptable in Korean society, and you have a recipe for tragedy.

All and all, an extremely disturbing movie, one that received great reviews but bombed at the box office.
  8. ethics

Wow. Didn't she read the script prior? I mean if she felt so strongly against the movie, why not stop when they asked her to do this (even with the script not mentioning how graphic it would be)?
  9. Plunge

I know, I feel the same way. Unfortunately, according to my wife, that would have destroyed her career for at least a couple of years. The director is very famous and so is the male lead. It would have been spun as her being unprofessional and the scenes not that bad. She would have been blackballed.

From what has been released of her 3 page suicide letter, her career was everything to her. She was driven to be the best.

Unless you are the VERY top of the entertainment world, you owe your entire livelyhood to your managers and those that control the entertainment industry. Female stars are still used as high end 'gifts' to people in power. You know how important you are in a major negotiation by who is waiting for you in your hotel room at night.

The entertainment industry in Korea has a very nasty underbelly that has never gone away.
  10. Plunge

A bit more showing how popular she was and how shocked Korea is.

Her management company says they will be giving more information on why she committed suicide later on.

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Plunge, you know a lot more about Korean society than me, but the reasons she committed suicide have to be more than her just being ashamed of her part in the movie. It doesn't add up that she knew what she was letting herself in for, did it and then killed herself because of what she'd done.

She must have had demons in her head well before she did this movie. What she did, suicide, isn't the act of a well balanced individual. It often isn't and in this case surely wasn't.
  12. Plunge

I'm sure it was more than that as well. I just think that was the final thing that pushed her over. I'm waiting like everyone else to see what is released about it. Having everyone close to her being shocked about it is telling though, seems there were few signs. Only the immediate family and it looks like her manager knew there was anything wrong.
  13. Plunge

Her funeral is over. In Korea, as soon as a person dies, a 3 day 'wake' begins. The wake ended and the funeral was performed. She was cremated, the norm in Korea for those who aren't married, and her ashes intered.

The nation of Korea basically came to a stand still for the funeral. It was broadcast nationwide and they figure nearly 1/4 of the population watched it.

14. LifeIsNvFair

LifeIsNvFair Registered User

any updates of it ?
  15. Plunge

Nothing that I have seen. No new information was released except for the fact that the police are disturbed at the number of copycat suicides. Even with that, no solide numbers were given.
  16. LifeIsNvFair

LifeIsNvFair Registered User

After more than 1 month, i'm still feeling very terrible. Been browsing internet reading everything about her.

Any idea how to encrypt those korean words website? I can't read them.
  17. Gwendolyn Boyer

Gwendolyn Boyer New Member

There appears to be a lot of young stars dying of "Suicide" in South Korea. Sometimes, it is best to investigate if only to know WHY it was committed so that we can stop others from falling into the same trap.
  18. ethics

And what is your theory?
  19. Arc

Arc Full Member

I've been pondering that for 12 years and have yet to come up with anything of substance on the subject.
    ethics likes this.