1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn to code bundle

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Steelermatt90, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Steelermatt90

Steelermatt90 Registered User

Hey all. I know its been a while, but Im back. Gone through a bunch of stuff the past year or so, but that's another story for another day.

Anywho, i came across this (https://tinyurl.com/y93r5rgc) learn to code bundle, and I've been giving it some thought. I'm having trouble finding any reviews for it.

I'm back in school for carpentry, so I'm thinking of being able to develop a few apps to be able to help with calculations performed in the trade. But also doing some freelance work on the side to help get through school.

Anyone have any experience with this course or similar?

Allene and cmhbob like this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

At the discount shown, go for it. Udemy and edX are also good for inexpensive courses you can take online.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It's a great price. It covers a lot of territory, from building plain old web pages (HTML and CSS), general purpose programming (e.g., Python), server scripting (PHP), database (MySQL), web applications (Ruby with Ruby on Rails), dynamic web pages (Javascript), and Javascript frameworks (Angular JS).

I have used Udemy and enjoy their courses, particular when they're heavily discounted. :) That CNN Store web page looks a lot like Udemy's website, though the icons are larger. I wonder if they're reselling Udemy or other providers' courses. Not a bad thing, just curious.

Anyway, if you want to focus on one thing, e.g., "I want to write computer programs in Python," it might be better to pick up, for example, a Python course on Udemy for $20 (or maybe even $10). If your curiosity and motivation will take you to learning three, four, or more programming languages, plus web page design, plus database, the bundle you linked is a great deal.

4. Steelermatt90

Ok, follow up question. What's the most common language/ platform for app development?

5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Quick clarification question: Do you mean "app" as in standalone application to run on a PC or "app" as in something that can be run on a smartphone? For the former I would suggest Python, unless all you want to do is add interactive elements to web pages, in which case the first choice would be Javascript.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Rust is also huge right now. Lot of companies looking for Rust programmers.

7. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I found what SixofNine said was particularly interesting.

Matt, I think you may have overlooked something (or I may have assumed something). You have to decide what platform you intend to run on. The main choices are (1) your own local computer, (2) a web host, or (3) both. It's not clear to me if you want to write local apps or web apps. If you could clarify which you are interested in it would become more clear what your best course is.

I have recently retired from the IT business where I developed corporate apps, which mainly interfaced company server apps and databases with employee apps, so my work crossed all the platforms from local PCs to our company server. That's my background so I know the stuff. My schooling was actually in something quite different, so I'm a good example of self-taught, I did it well enough to get hired (as a job shopper) and I kept it up for a few years until I recently quit, I got bored with the work.

For local PCs it appears to me that Visual C++ is a good choice, Java is a good choice, both were used by my organization although I don't have a lot of experience with other employers. (Some people swear by Visual Basic, I'm not one of them.) For web design of course you have to learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and AJAX is desirable although not for beginners. It's not clear to me how complex you want to go. Much of the Internet works on the free open source packages often called LAMP, meaning Linux (the operating system), Apache (the web page rendering engine), MySQL (the database), and PHP (the programming language). The competition is primarily the paid Microsoft package which IIRC is called Microsoft IIS. (I have no experience with that.)

Matt, I think the primary choice you have to make is whether you want your code to run locally or to run on a remote server. If the latter, getting your own website is not terribly expensive. There are limited packages starting at a couple dollars/month. My recommended would be a basic web hosting package (your choice of Microsoft or LAMP) for $5-$7 per year.

You can also get various books including the Dummy series, and IIRC Microsoft still sells or gives away reduced features of their PC program development programs, like Visual C++.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Questions like this scare me, Matt. It sounds like you want to code but you are not sure what, where, etc... That's not a good sign. If you are going in just for the income, you will fail.

Not trying to dissuade you, by any means, but this isn't something I like seeing when people come to me with that question.

You need to come from:
    1. What problem are you trying to solve
    2. If you were to be an expert, what would you create
    3. Do you love constant problem solving--because you will be debugging more than creating your own if you work at a firm. And that's either your own code or (mostly) other's.
    4. If you are still ok with #3, then talk to me.

cmhbob and Susan Addams like this.
  9. Susan Addams

Leon is right and it goes along with what I posted. You have to start knowing the platform and the problem. Until you have those two things defined you are putting the buggy in front of the horse.

10. Steelermatt90

Im honestly just looking for additional income. I'm going to school for carpentry, so ii would be interestedin creating apps that help with tasks in the field. Also, one of my million dollar ideas stems from tbe last job i had of driving large delivery vehicles.

If i can make some money off of my ideas, awesome. My main goal is to create apps to make my life easier in my trade down the road.

Also, when i say app, im talking smartphones.

11. Susan Addams

iOS, Android or Windows? Sadly, each requires a different development platform. In fact you cannot develop iOS (Apple) apps except on an Apple PC. I was going to try that except I have Win7. I bought an Apple Mac mini and couldn't figure it out. Windows ruined my brains. I took it back for a refund. It's safe to assume you can develop apps for Windows phone on Windows. If you are developing apps for your own use this might be easy, but if you are developing for commercial distribution then you will have to at least supply apps for iOS (Apple) and Android. I'm pretty sure these two cover the vast majority of the fleet of phones but I have not researched statistics.

It's so Apple to provide their app development platform only for Apple PCs. They wouldn't even provide iTunes for Windows except for the economic necessity. Even then iTunes is the worst behaved program on my Windows PC.