1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leadership

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Sierra Mike, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's pretty funny what people construe "leadership" to mean.

One of my former bosses at the F and I had a little tête-à-tête, and not of the friendly variety. For my part, I found working for her to be problematic and more about style than substance, as she was of the ticket-punching variety. On her side, she viewed me as being far too assertive and interested only in accomplishing the mission, i.e., getting results.

Because of that, she tried to have me fired... twice.

When I heard her admit to that (and I already knew about it, because the Sr VP she was counting on to back her up actually told her she was crazy and wrote her up himself then ran and told me all about it), I giggled like a school girl and said, "So you failed at that too, huh? See, you do suck as a boss--not only can you not manage down, you can't manage up."

It's funny to me how some folks who are pushed into a leadership position automatically presume that things need to be changed, that the current set of circumstances are some inefficient and breaking down. There's always room for improvement, but converting a work environment to a personal fiefdom is simply retarded. Not only will the rest of the organization not get it and find it incredibly cumbersome to work with, but it sets up the department or division in question for single-point decision making: from the leader of the element. That sounds great, but even in the military--an organization most folks would agree is hardly flexible when it comes to the spirit of command--delegation is essential. There are a million things leaders don't need to deal with, and when they inject themselves into those particular engagements, operations slow and become even more inefficient. I mean, listen--even Harvey Weinstein, a known neurotic boss who loves being involved and being glorified, doesn't run around telling directors how to make their movies. He just outlines the big arcs and steps away until he gets a rough cut to review, and then he goes to town.

The most successful leaders manage success by inspiring and setting a good example. Those who try to bully and cajole employees into doing their bidding are almost always destined for failure, like my former boss. She's no longer heading up a 15 person division, she's leading a one person division, well out of sight and unable to get face time with the executive leadership.

Guess her style of leadership led her to where she really needs to be. :)

SixofNine likes this.
  2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

So true. Some people seem to think that bossing around = managing and leading. I'm convinced that many organizations could remove at least one layer of management and at worst nothing would change, and things would probably improve.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ive had bad bosses just as bad as Billy Carter micromanaging the tennis court reservations At the white house. They didn't last long in the real world either.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Peter Principle and the concept that managers who succeed continue to advance in the organization until eventually they reach a level with responsibility that exceeds their skills.

This sounds to me like an example of the Peter Principle in operation.

It's also an example of failed management to allow a manager to be promoted to a position that they are not qualified for. Perhaps those who promoted her had also reached their own level of incompetence.

IMO the government is much more suited than private industry to succumb to the Peter Principle in operation. After all, a business organization must make profits to succeed. By definition the government is designed to NOT make profits. (If a government organization makes a profit then we are paying too much in taxes.)

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

The guy who put this person in position to, ah, supervise my division couldn't believe the trouble she caused. He's actually pretty powerful inside the organization now, and he's professionally embarrassed by his choice now. :D A shame for him, as he's a sharp guy who got hoodwinked.