1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest from Stonekettle Station

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

And here he's lost me.

Pluck the suicide figures out of that and I'll listen. But to lump all gun deaths together as "gun violence" makes him no better than the media who is trying their damnedest to gut the 2nd Amendment.

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

Let's compare that statistic to the number of people killed by DUI involved auto accidents.

Then we can discuss banning guns and banning autos on an equal basis.

4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

There are more guns than vehicles in the US, something like 350 million firearms to 320 million vehicles.

2015 Data (FBI): 13,455 murders, 71.4% (9,616) were by firearm, 6,447 by handgun.

2015 Data (NHTSA): Alcohol Impaired deaths 10,265.

More people were killed by drunk drivers than were murdered with firearms.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Both stats are abhorrent . Which is more or less has no bearing on whether or not each should be addressed.

MemphisMark likes this.
  6. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

It has bearing that it's just as stupid to quote deaths caused by autos as deaths caused by guns.

Neither kills people. It's the person who controls each that is the cause of the problem. Addressing regulating the hardware is the same as trying to fix the healthcare business by addressing insurance companies. The insurance companies just pipe the problem to the consumer, they aren't the cause of the problem.

I'll laugh when the liberals succeed and replace the insurance companies with a single payer, and discover that it didn't change a thing. Except to put a bunch of insurance company people out of work. I wonder how many people work in that industry, and the effect on our economy when they all hit the streets with no jobs.

I'm beginning to think the liberals are all about taxing and regulating business to death and putting people who want to work out on the streets.

I guess I'm feeling my inner bitch today because Amazon closed down...