1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lasagna

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Jan 9, 2003.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

To die for. I make a spinach vegetarian version, and a heavy on the meat version. My partner's Italian, REAL Italian mom helped me out on this before she died.

MEAT:
    1 lb. each ground beef and Italian sausage
    2 small cans tomato paste
    1 regular jar Ragu, Prego, whatever
    32 ounces ricotta cheese
    fresh fine grated parmessan cheese
    fresh chopped mushrooms
    oregano, taragon, basil to taste
    fresh minced garlic clove
    12 slices provolone cheese
    noodles, of course
    Freshly grated parmessan cheese

In an 8 qt. pan, ground the beef, and sausage. Brown. Drain fat. Add Ragu, tomato paste, mushrooms, oregano, taragon, basil, and garlic. Simmer for an hour. Meanwhile, Combine all the cheeses and chill so the flavors merge together. Boil noodles, al dente. Not crunchy not soggy. If ya have a spare wall, thgrow a noodle on it. It should roll slowly down the wall, not stick, and not just bounce off to the floor.

Cover bottom of baking dish with tomato meat mixture. Place 4 noodles. Place 3 slices of provolone cheese. Cover that with tomato beef, ricotta cheese mixture. Noodles, beef, provolone, and so on. 4 layers is a good thing. Cover with foil for 50 minutes at 375. Uncover bake for 20 minutes more. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Nice additions to this include fresh baked garlic bread.
    Fresh minced garlic
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    French or Italian bread
    2 sticks butter or margerine, or 2 cups from the tub.

Slice bread lengthwise. Smatter bread generously with mixture. Broil on low until just brown on top.

Pick a salad. Dinner done.

A nice white Zinfendel is the perfect choice to compliment pasta dishes, especially when taragon, basil oregano or garlic is used in the dish.

2. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Sounds like a good recipe to me. My dearly departed italian grandmother would have a problem with the jarred sauce, but I use it and see no need to do that much work when you don't have to ;) LOL

Hey try those no boil noodles bt...they're really good and cut back on the hassle associated with lasagna. It cuts the time in half and they are pretty much perfected now. Not starchy and you really wouldn't know they're the no boils.

I also love spinach lasagna. My favorite :)

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

No boil? HMMM LOL Would this make Italian cooks roll over in their graves? Although, using jar sauce is a sin in itself to begin with. LOL I used to watch the mom in law use a special pan that looks like a strainer to me. She'd peel the tomatoes and then crush them by hand, it strains out the seeds and stuff. But, before she died she told me that she did not have the time for that anymore. HEHE

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

That's a food mill. Looks kind of like a large wire mesh strainer with a handle in the middle........two or more curved blades rotate, pushing the food into the mesh, straining out seeds, peel, etc.

Nice too, very labor-intensive. Give me a jar, any day :)

5. Violet1966

Not this italian cook!! LOL I don't have the time to fuss anymore with the kids and trying to maintain a life of my own too. I used to frown upon things like that too, and when I had the no boils by a friend's house one day, finally realized I was being a cooking snob!! LOL Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like boiling up the noodles and doing it by the book with the home made sauce and all. It's just so much easier to use the no boils and jarred sauce when you're pressed for time or just don't feel like spending half the day in the kitchen. If you can take shortcuts like that and get away with it, why not? ;) LOL

*craving lasagna now* ;)

Just a note too....Prego has this three cheese sauce out and it's really really yummy :)

6. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! EEEEWWWWW cheese in a jar????

ok, no- boil noodles
    sauce in a jar
    CHEESE in a jar
    spices from a jar

Recipe: brown the meat, and throw the shit in a baking dish. Bake for an hour. YAY DONE!!!

7. Violet1966

Just want you to know I can't stop laughing now because of you and they're coming to take me away ;)

No no no!! LMFAO Oh I'm not that brave!!! ROFLMFAO It's actually tomato sauce with like three italian cheeses added to it. It's as red as red can be but has the zest of a cheese with parmigiana in it ;)