1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Employers with Employees Who Qualify for Public Assistance

Discussion in 'Economy' started by SixofNine, Sep 16, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

What if a company that employs more than 500 employees pays a wage low enough that some employees qualify for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, the school lunch program, and Section 8 housing? The taxpayer is essentially supplementing that company's payroll costs. My gut reaction is that it would be fair for that company to reimburse the taxpayer for that type of corporate welfare.

Some economists worry, though, that the bill would discourage companies from hiring people they believe might need federal government assistance, and/or accelerate the transition to a more automated workforce.

Enforcement would be an issue, too, as it would require a lot of cooperation and data sharing among the IRS, the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

I deliberately left the name of the bill's sponsor out of the front of the post because for me it's a substantive issue worthy of discussion without considering the source, but here goes. :)

It's good ol' Bernie, and he calls it the Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies (Stop BEZOS) Act. :D

Bernie Sanders Introduces "Stop BEZOS Act" Targeting Big Companies Like Amazon With Low Wages

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am not against what Bernie is proposing here. The big thing -- as you've mentioned -- is execution.