1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Land of the free?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'm so pissed off about this. This is old news, actually. Check out this link to a <u>2-year-old!</u> article from cnn.com.

Pretty nasty stuff, eh?

Now, if you have some time to listen, and I recommend that you do, go here, and scroll about half-way down the page until you see the one about "ACLU Files Suit Against Texas Drug Task Force". Click the link to listen to the program. I believe it's about ten minutes in length.

I'm dismayed, angry, and, for once, in complete agreement with the lawsuit. I've been saying for years that the so-called "war on drugs" is a complete failure, except for the "jobs program" aspect of it that allows the hiring of more police under the guise of drug fighting.

Now, it looks like it's gone even further and turned into actual corrupt practices, just to keep the money flowing in.

Disgusting!

2. Bippity Bump

3. jamming

jamming Banned

No fair bumping your own posts.

4. Steve has cuter kids than I do ;) The topic is important as it is an issue that needs both debate and elucidation. I missed it earlier and wanted to be sure the same wasn't the case for the rest of the community.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Please, I just read this article, how is the actions of one local law enforcement an indictment against the War on Drugs.

I see the points about ending the War on Drugs, as a registered Libertarian, but overall I don't see what choice we have but to rule some drugs illegal. Alcohol is a drug, smoking is a drug, marijuana is a drug, we don't allow people to Drink and Drive, now in Florida you cannot smoke in a Workplace (ie. Restaurant, with a few exceptions). Some of the people trying to end the War on Drugs are supporters of the War on Tobacco. I mean we regulate the sale of Alcohol, so why should we not regulate or prohibit some drugs. So if someone wants perscription drugs should we allow them to be sold to whoever wants them. You want everyone to have them including 15 year olds? How about 6 year olds? 21 like Alcohol? This argument about the War on Drugs, comes down to this "How many people do we keep from becoming addicts?" I mean how about we adopt the Chinese Communist model, anyone using drugs goes up against the wall and their family gets a bill for the bullet? How about we adopt complete openess till everyone who wants drugs can use them? The Chinese nearly destoryed themselves with Opium brought in and sold by the British Merchants. We need a line somewhere don't we? Or do we just allow ourselves to become a nation of even more addicts?

6. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

You raise good points, sir.
    I would just like to submit that;
    We (as a nation), continue to, spend untold billions of dollars in this 'war against drugs".
    This effort 'really' doesn't seem to be solving the problem.

I don't have the answers, but I wonder if perhaps these billions of dollars could be spent in a more productive manner?
    I dont think anyone here proposes that we ignore the issue.
    I do think that it does us some good to debate current policies, as they don't seem to be making a dent in the problem, no matter how much money we throw at it.

I'm a dumbass, but even I can see that what we're doing now is not very effective.
    I'd like to hear some alternatives.

Regards,