1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KUDOS to Cracker Barrel, Finally

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Dec 5, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

After 10 years of struggle, the Cracker Barrel restaurant has decide to change it's outdate and way overdue policy against gay and lesbian individuals. (my words) I am especially happy that the company is now going to provide health benefits to domestic partners. This is a step in the right direction.

The Human Rights Campaign has applauded these efforts
    :happy: :happy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Absolutely great news. :)

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

<strike>About time</strike> Way overdue but better late than never.

4. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Nice to see they have caught up with modern times even if a bit late in the day.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I wonder how long it will take for some right wing organization to blacklist them? I wish I had the link, but I remember reading on a Christian website about all the companies that a good Christian is not to support. For some reason, the only one I can remember was Disney.

Oh well, at least straight people will no longer be getting any special treatment. ;)

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Yah Disney is on that list. Apparantly now the whole city of Orlando is on their shit list now, too, because Orlando city counsel NARROWLY passed an ammendment to the anti-discrimination laws, including sexual orientation in them. It's got all the good Christians down here in quite the huff.

I'm really pissed that our Mayor - a female - voted NO against this. Apparantly she's ok with gays getting discriminated against. I won't be voting her back in, that's for damned sure. I want a mayor that doesn't cater to one particular sector of my city - I want a mayor that caters to all of us, equally.

7. Flagger

Flagger Well-Known Member

Doesn't a privately held company have the right to provide benefit to whomever it chooses or none at all?

Is a company somehow evil if it chooses not to provide said benefits? While I am pleased with the position, as these are in fact not rights but benefits, a company has the right to choose to whom to offer those benefits.

eg. The FlaggerCo only provides benefits to those employees who have naturally red hair born on a Tuesday.

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Actually laws do not allow you to be selective. For instance you cannot offer better benefits to the VP's than to the lowest paid worker, speaking about health and vacation benefits. Whether or not sexual preference is one of the issues that you can choose or not will one day be settled by the courts.

As an example, if too many high paid employees use the 401K vs the lower paid employees it loses part of its tax relief. I know because I have had to work on programs to determine if and when that happens and to deduct more.

9. Flagger

Are you sure about it being law?

Company A offers vacation time to starting employees after say 90-180 days of employment. Formula is based on when hired in the year on how many days they get to use in that year.

Certainly there are cases of VP level receiving immediate vacation benefits 2-3 weeks as part of their employment benefit.

One morning radio show I worked for received an extra week of vacation in exchange for working all paid company holidays but Christmas. No one else at that station received that benefit.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

You are speaking about rewards, I don't think that is covered by law. And you can vest employees when you hire. But if the max vacation is so many days you cannot hire somebody and give them so many plus one. And I am not a lawyer, so I will admit I could be in error, but my wife and I have worked a lot with HR and these rules are in place in Florida. The 401K is federal and is so companies encourage all employees.

And I know you cannot have two levels of health benefits offered. And you had better be paying the same portion of all employee's health benefits in the same category. Benefits category that is, married, single, etc. Companies can offer enough salary to make your benefits in fact free, but they must deduct the same for all.

I am less certain of vacation benefits.

11. Flagger

Thankfully I am not in California where companies may be required to provide said benefits. Imagine the companies that are currently providing more than the proposed law suddenly switching to provide just as the law dictates.

12. IamZed

IamZed ...

The last company I worked at joined with another that had better benefits. It was the law that there had to be only plan for all. Too bad the whole damn firm immediately tanked.

13. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

The cracker barrel, I remember going to that place once. They gave us a ton of biscuits and corn bread at the table, we took a ton home because we knew they'd have to throw it away. That's the one with the store with the old stuff in it right?

14. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Old stuff to some is nostalgia to others. While I am not old enough to remember everything they display, I'm familiar with quite a bit of it.

However, I bet you could tell me a few things about 'American Idol' and such things as I have zero interest in such matters.

The two of us can always start an OS war in the Techie forum, though ;). I've worked with OSs I guarantee you've never heard of and never will ;).

15. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Actually I don't watch American Idol. I don't listen to music that much. Besides I'd rather watch Donahue or Star Trek...

16. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I for one am quite pleased about hearing about the policy change for Cracker Barrel. I consider it a great place to eat. Tons of food...

I was not aware of the sexual discrimination policy though.
    Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I don't know if it would have made a difference to me at the time, but I have always been open-minded on that issue. ( It helps to have friends of that persuation:))

I would like to thank you [btdude]and RRedline for being so forthcomming and educating the poor smucks who cannot recognize people as being people, and not just some label that is convenient to use, and use in a derogatory manner.

You guys are pretty COOL!