1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodi is the ultimate entertainment center?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

Kodi | Open Source Home Theater Software

I just don't know. It is interesting that a minimal set is offered as the Raspberry Pi, which is a small experimenter's board. You can purchase the board here: Raspberry Pi - Teach, Learn, and Make with Raspberry Pi just picking Newark as the retailer and 3rd generation Pi costs only $35. (Kodi sells an optional Kodi branded case to cover the Pi circuit board.)

Kodi is available for Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, Linux, and the previously mentioned Pi.

To be honest I should be able to answer this question myself but they have such a bad website I can't figure it out. I'm thinking of trying the package on one of my HTPCs.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The Pi has gone WAY beyond being just an experimenter's board and has blossomed into a rather large cottage industry that uses the Raspberry Pi as its underpinnings. In 2012, when it was released, they only thought they'd sell around a thousand of them. By Jan 2013, they had sold over 700,000. By February 2015 that figure was 10 million.
  3. Susan Addams

I just can't understand Kodi's site, they have the worst explainers I've ever seen, or I'm just friggin' dumb. Can you be brunette and dumb and not blond but still be blonde?

I just can't read their website. Do you think this is some software that I want to load onto my HTPC?
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

**shrug** For the Pi and Linux instructions, it's fairly straight forward. Log into the device, fire up terminal, point to the proper repository and install via apt-get.
  5. Susan Addams

I don't need any help installing stuff. The site is so incomprehensible it makes me wonder if I want their stuff.

I'll admit it took me a full day to change my SSH from password to public/private pass phrases. But now I have it nailed and I took notes.

Kodi has the worst open source project home pages I've ever seen. Says all, tells nothing. I can't make up my mind if I want their stuff.
  6. Grail_King

Grail_King Member

Are you talking web site or the setup within kodi itself?

Try here: MITCH's PLACE
    He is starting a setup vids for newbies, on settings he also gives links for repos etc.
  7. Susan Addams

I'm talking about what the fuck is it? Their site is total garbage! I've never seen a worse designed website, and I design websites.

If I figure out what it is I won't have any trouble configuring it.
  8. Grail_King

Grail_King Member

It's SW that allows 3rd party addons for movies, tv shows.
    Think of it as a unlimited DVR, that also allows you to watch streams from any computer in your house. It can also play live tv streams from around the world, VPN allows you to watch from different countries.
    It can play just about any MM file ever made.

In all honesty, there site is basically for the software download, they have forum help like here, the only heavy rule is can't talk about some 3rd party addons.
    I've been using it for years, have it on all my computers and our daughter's 2 computers (almost, got to install it on the KODLIX mini I got her for Christmas.
  9. Grail_King

Grail_King Member

I updated my first reply to you.
  10. Susan Addams

Thank you. Pardon my language. That site is so bad it makes me angry.

I'll read your reply and give it more thought. I participate in a lot of open source projects and this one is just the worst documented sites I've ever seen. I see red when I look at their site.

LOL! :D

Actually I returned to censor my language but now that you quoted me, oh well....