1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kissinger to Head 9/11 Probe

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by immortal one, Nov 27, 2002.

1. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Henry is at the helm. 10 members, and 18 months to try and find out what really happened.
    Anyone think the new panel can get to the real facts?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20021128/ap_on_go_pr_wh/terror_commission_3

(Quote from Joe Lieberman) "I would be surprised if this commission, in pursuit of the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help them God, did not want to speak with this president and high officials in this administration and previous administrations,"

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

If this commission, that the President really didn't want, is actually intended to get even into the same area code as the 'whole truth'; anyone but Henry would be chairing it...even Pinochet.

3. immortal one

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Henry will do a fine job, as fine a job as one couild expect from a war criminal.

5. immortal one

Well, it looks as though Henry will be getting a paycheck for the next 18 months anyway.
    I can't understand why Mr. Bush would appoint him to head the panel...unless...

6. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

*cough*cough*WarrenCommission*cough*cough*

BDD...

7. immortal one

When those who are called to testify before the<small> for lack of a better term</small> the Kissinger Kommission, are they still required to "swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth <B>so help me God</B>?"

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Ah screw it, I'll testify...hell, I'll even swear to god.

9. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

<small> "Where's Dick ?......he can help uz weth the Chinese queztion.......han Halderman should be there too".......</small>

10. immortal one

The CNN poll shows 57% to 43% in favor of Mr. Kissinger leading the panel.

<small>We have to get word to those villages.</small>

11. MisManager

MisManager Runs With Scissors

I actually think it's looking like it will be a good panel, with Kissinger and Mitchell in the lead. Both men, partisan in the past, have developed reputations as elder statesmen, and I can't see that either would want to cash that in by screwing this up.

I think it is critical that this forum avoid the blame game, and I think both of these men seem to realize that. The US' intelligence functions need an overhaul, and I am hoping that these two realize that they can really make a mark on that.

In a way, I'm hoping their vanity will guide them toward this goal. :)

Eric

12. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point of this commission, but is it not simply an attempt to place blame? It would seem to me as though most of the significant failings that lead to this tragedy have already been exposed and have been addressed, albeit superficially. I am afraid I don't see anything coming out of this save for the commission declaring there was an intelligence failing, and the current administration explaining that is why the new homeland security blah blah blah was created.

13. MisManager

MisManager Runs With Scissors

I think the idea is to (a) determine what parts of the intelligence system failed, (b) how it failed, and (c) what changes can be made to prevent another such failure. I would expect the commission to be much more detailed than to simply paint broad brushstrokes.

Most of the discussion about intelligence failure has centered on a lack of information-sharing between agencies and, in the FBI's case, a failure to take some warning signs seriously. However, "Take warning signs more seriously" and "Cooperate with other agencies" is, to say the least, unhelpful. There needs to be specific remedies prescribed. In the case of interagency cooperation, this isn't a "failure" so much as it's a lack. Nobody *didn't*do their job per se, but organizational changes may be needed to fix the problem.

As I said above, I expect specifics, not just generalities. I hope that's what we get, or this will have been a waste of time. Of course, I realize that many of the specifics may not be publicly released. In that case, we need to look at folks like Sens. McCain and Shelby, who have called for an aggressive commission. If, at the end, they are unsatisfied, then we should be too.

Eric

14. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

very true MisManager, perhaps it is just my cynicism that I expect to be wholly dissapointed with what this comission achieves.

(btw, I've noticed since I started to post frequently on the interweb my spelling has gone all to hell, perhaps I should visit one of those education threads :p )

15. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

While I'm sure there will be some looking at the CIA and FBI, from the following it sounds more like Kissinger's job will be to point fingers outside the US.
    http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet...rows=1&search_results_start=1&query=kissinger

-------

Mr. Kissinger promised yesterday that he will not be deterred by the risk of upsetting Washington's allies with the findings of his investigation.

"I have been given every assurance by the President that we should go where the facts lead us and that we're not restricted by any foreign-policy considerations," he said.

Among the most charged of the murky details still surrounding the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks is whether the rulers of oil-rich Saudi Arabia, home to 15 of the 19 terrorists who hijacked jetliners that crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in rural Pennsylvania, deliberately turned a blind eye to the funding of a violent and radically anti-Western brand of Islam.

"I think that's one of the subjects that we will deal with," Mr. Kissinger said. "When I was secretary of state, Saudi Arabia was a good ally . . . but that was 30 years ago."

Mr. Bush originally opposed the idea of an independent commission, but mounting political pressure, especially from the families of many of the nearly 3,000 people who died in the attacks in New York and Washington, forced a reversal.

"This commission will help me and future presidents to understand the methods of America's enemies and the nature of the threats we face," he said.

"We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of Sept. 11."

But there were hints that some agencies, especially those in the U.S. intelligence community, may be reluctant to tell all.

16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Looks Like Henry Is Out

Former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger stepped down Friday as chairman of a panel investigating the Sept. 11 attacks, citing controversy over potential conflicts of interest with his business clients.

"It is clear that, although specific potential conflicts can be resolved in this manner, the controversy would quickly move to the consulting firm I have built and own," Kissinger wrote in a letter to President Bush, who appointed him.

"I have, therefore, concluded that I cannot accept the responsibility you proposed."

BS excuse, we all know why he quit...

Full story here...