1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Rub: can we decode it?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Greg, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

One of my camping buddies is the greatest Western chef in the, uh, in the west! :) He's a few years older than me—he wasn't here when they invented dirt, but he remembers his parents talking about it—and he's been cooking since his early years just like me, but he's focused on Western cooking, you know like chuck wagon and grilling and barbecuing and smoking. His idea for fun is to invite over 10-20 people and cook up a bunch of food. When we go camping he usually brings along a couple turkeys, or one turkey cut in half, so he can cook them each a different way, like smoking one and roasting the other... but I digress.

Allen has been raving about Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Rub, says it's one of the best rubs he's ever used, and wants to reverse engineer the recipe. Perhaps saving a bit of money making your own is a motive, but he also says its one flaw is that it's too salty. I spent a bit of time googling it, and he's right! Other people (forums etc.) have been discussing it, and they also say it's too salty. So we want to reverse engineer it, but ours will be better because we'll use less salt.

So, has anybody here used this rub? Here's the ingredient breakdown:

Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Rub

sea salt
    black pepper
    chile pepper
    red pepper
    dehydrated vegetables:
       red pepper
       bell pepper
    demerara sugar
    natural mesquite smoke flavor
    citric acid

I hadn't heard of demerara sugar before (AKA demerera) but a bit of research tells me it's raw cane sugar, brown in color.

Now all that stuff but one should be easy to get (maybe two since I don't know where to find demerara sugar), but the natural mesquite smoke flavor is going to be the difficult part. Some more googling produced the following brands of mesquite flavoring:

Colgin's Natural Mesquite Liquid Smoke
    Deep South Natural Mesquite Smoke
    Weber's Smokey Mesquite
    Mrs. Dash Mesquite Grilling Blend

So that's it up to know. I'm hoping somebody here can add something to this, even if just to say you tried the product.
  2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Sorry, never heard of it. The salt is there to help convey the spice flavors into the meat as it absorbs the salt. It also helps to dry out the meat a little, thus intensifying the spice flavor.

The salt can be safely reduced if the amount of time the rub is left on the meat is increased.

Liquid smoke is readily available, I don't see that you'd have trouble finding it; it's often near the hot sauces, not the spice aisle.
  3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I've used Colgin's liquid smoke before and it is quite good, have not tried the others.
  4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Haddon House is the brand carried by our preferred supermarket, here in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Yes Steve, I've used Wright's liquid smoke for many years, but it is not what I would call mesquite. In fact it is hickory.

Thanks for the report Coot. I just realized (duh) that I should check out my supermarket for the products I listed above. One unfortunate thing, I believe the Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Rub is powdered, while all the products I listed above appear to be liquids, like Wright's.

Does anybody want to volunteer to go along with me on a stealth infiltration into Kirkland and see if we can find the secret formula? ;) ;) ;)
  6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Colgin actually makes a mesquite smoke and it can be ordered online. I didn't go digging through the site to see if it's on now, but several times a year, they offer free samples of their products.
  7. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Why don't you just go into Costco and buy the Kirkland's (it is of course their store brand)?

That might be too simple though. ;)
  8. Dewitt60

Dewitt60 Farming with technology

If you want a less salty pre packaged rub the best one I have found in 25 years in the business is Lil'Brave Applewood Somke Rub. It's available at most restaraunt supply houses. I spice it up a little with red pepper on occasion. Fantastic stuff.
  9. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thanks for the comment Coot. I think that's the same product I mentioned in the OP, Colgin's Natural Mesquite Liquid Smoke.
    My friend Allen requested that I research it and see if it can be reverse engineered, and I always like a challenge, particularly in a recipe smackdown. :)

I've reverse engineered various other recipes like Kraft's Shake 'n Bake oven fried chicken mix, and 2-3 recipes from Maria's Italian Kitchen (restaurant chain in Los Angeles).

It's a game. It's fun if you can figure out somebody's secrets. :)

Dewitt, I don't think that that Lil'Brave Applewood Somke Rub is going to taste much like mesquite, but I could be wrong. :)
  10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

My husband picks up all my Costco for me when he goes to Boston, but next time I'm there I'll take a look at it and see what it looks like.

I would think if you dehydrated a liquid smoke product, by putting it in a pan or something, and baking it to dry on low heat, you could create a flake with it. Then powder it down. It would probably be much more intense though, so you'd have to taste it of course to be sure you don't add too much in your mix.
  11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thanks for taking my post seriously Stio, and Vio, thanks for your input too.

Stio, my buddy Allen complained too that it was too salty, but said if they could tone the salt down it would be great. Now you know why we are trying to decode it, to take out the salt!!!

Allen is such a damned good cook, far better than I, he's been a real inspiration to me, but when it says it's good BUT, well I was interested in following it up.

Maybe we can develop our own rub... I've purchased some of that Colgin's Hickory seasoning. I'm gonna go to Costco and get some of their stuff too.

Really, Allen is one of the best chefs I've ever met. You don't discount him when he says something, or at least at your peril.
  13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

You can probably find all kinds of rub recipes on the net.
  14. Greg

Greg Full Member

I did search the 'Net for about an hour but didn't find what I wanted.
  15. mitretnuh

mitretnuh New Member

I know its a dead thread, but I cant seem figure out how to send Greg a message. I am hoping he found an answer to this rub question. Unless someone can help me out with how to start a conversation so I can beep him. I use this rub but need to cut out the salt in my diet, so.....
  16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

New members cannot use the private messaging system until they've made a certain number of posts (this is an anti-spam measure).
  17. mitretnuh

mitretnuh New Member

I am hoping he found a solution to this, as I have been told I am sensitive to salt, that is what is driving my BP through the roof. I just found this website so it might be awhile before I hit the threshold, there is a lot of great content on here, would someone be willing to ping him for me? This is the only seasoning I use on stuff, I dont want to lose it

Thanks for the response Biker, I appreciate the feed back.