1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kindle Voyage Impression After Three Weeks

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ShinyTop, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have been encouraged by my son to get a Kindle for my reading for years. During most of those years the majority of my reading has been using the Kindle App on my various phones, for the past year on my LG G3 which has a 5 1/2 inch screen.

So I was finally persuaded to purchase a Kindle reader. I had to choose between the Paperwhite and the Voyage. The Voyage was more expensive. I read extensive reviews and in the end decided on the Voyage. Many reviews of the Voyage included comments that it was the best but not by a wide enough margin to upgrade from the Paperwhite. But I was making my first Kindle purchase so I went for the best, after I all I may be an aging Geek but still a Geek.

My first surprise was how much more book like a Kindle was versus the Kindle App. Since the screen was only 1/2 inch bigger than my current phone I did not expect that. I think the Kindle readers have an aspect ratio that is closer to a real book. And by book like I mean I feel I get substantially more words/paragraphs on a page at the same font level.

Another concern I had was the ability to hold with one hand while reading in bed while lying on my side. I do not have large hands but found that I could easily manage the Kindle one handed. For reading in bed the Kindle app or reader is much better than a real book.

Battery life is great compared to a phone but not as much as they claim witch is 21 hours of reading, 1/2 hour a day for six weeks. But I use the screen brighter. Maybe because I am used to a brighter screen or because of aging. I can still read over 900 pages on one charge.

So I am pleased with my purchase. I still use my phone occasionally since it is always with me. So if an appointment is not right on time I can still read without carrying the Kindle. For the first time I am considering a man bag. My wife carries her Kindle in her purse easily but up to now I have avoided a man bag.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I also bought an oragami cover for the Voyage. I do a lot of reading at my desk and this cover allows me read hands free except for page turns. A book like cover is cheaper and just as good unless you also read at a desk.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I gave away my paperwhite to my 11 year old. I think it's time for a Voyage. Your review tipped me over. :)

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm still on a plain vanilla Kindle. I keep it in a little padded and zipped cover that has a band across the back. I stick my Kindle in that and hold onto the cover, except to change pages. It works better for me than holding the Kindle directly because I end up accidentally flipping pages. It is easier on my eyes than a computer screen and fits into my purse. By the time I get to the Voyage, it'll be in a Smithsonian exhibit.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Best part about Kindle for me is that I can whip it out on a subway without worrying about it getting snatched from my hands like all the subway phones are these days.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yeah! My subway days are behind me now, but I see what you mean.

ethics likes this.