1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kavanaugh Nomination - So True

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Sep 14, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I hate the kabuki dances that these Supreme Court nominations have become. The guy is obviously qualified. Maybe Merrick Garland was, too, but don't blame Kavanaugh for that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.fba631822a7b

Excerpts:

Emphasis added.

Allene, Arc and ethics like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm tired of it, too, and I'm wondering how much that woman that Feinstein dug up was paid to accuse Kavanaugh of sexual assault in high school!

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

If only politicians could be forced to wear remote-control shock collars.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Perfect description.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

If he is confirmed those that opposed him are later on going to regret their histrionics, attempted dishonest smears and faked hysteria--especially if Trump gets a chance to appoint another nominee and the vacancy is coming from one of the four "liberal" justices currently on the court.

(I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull another Anita Hill type* out of their hat.

* A person with a damning but completely one hundred percent made up a false narrative. (Perhaps the greatest lie/liar ever produced during a confirmation hearing.)

Allene likes this.
  6. Arc

Arc Full Member

Well, it looks like my prophecy is about to be unfolded. Anita Hill wannabe is going public four days before the confirmation hearings for Kavanaugh is to begin. The Washington Post has known of her and referred to her allegations, (which just the past day have gotten more severe), as has Senator Diane Feinstein who also has known of the allegations for months.

Ms. Anita whatever her name is should have gone to the NYT instead of WAPO back in July. The NYT would have allowed her to write an op-ed of her sexual assault by Kavanaugh. And the Times would publish it with without attribution. Total anonymity!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

LOL this is ridiculous.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

This story or situation is growing and more importantly morphing. It's way different now than when it started out.

Ms. Ford, the accuser, gave a written letter outlining her claim back in July with the intent of the Dems keeping protecting her privacy and grant her anonymity.

The Dems were satisfied with that, superficially anyway. They remained silent. Then after the conclusion of Kavanaugh's week-long grilling before Congress and the confirmation hearing to be held one week later and Kavanaugh almost certain to be nominated, they sprang the letter.

Big surprise and a lot of initial hoopla! Unfortunately for those that oppose Kavanaugh the momentum quickly slowed.

So, the Dems then demand that Ford is allowed to testify to tell her story so we all can know the truth. Unfortunately for them, it seems that having to testify is the LAST thing Ford wants to do. So now speaking through her lawyer Ford says she will only testify if the FBI first investigate her claims. Bad demand.

The FBI says no way. The crime alleged isn't federal, the most important legal distinction, and it happened 36 years ago. Meanwhile, as more and more info comes out there are problems with her story.

So unless either Ford or the FBI change their minds all that will happen will delay the confirmation hearing for a week or so.

What's unclear as of today is as things stand at this point has any Senator that was previously willing to support Kavanaugh have now changed their mind?

There are so many things wrong with this situation that this story in the totality of what it represents, aside from the yes or no on Kavanaugh, it is for me as a political situation or story perhaps the most upsetting to me of any I've ever heard.

The worst possible outcome scenario is Ford never testifies or if she does and tells, as I suspect, a story that is fraught with holes that nevertheless with all the political distractions CYA politicians it will adversely affect the vote.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Allene likes this.
  9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Check my update that was composed and posted just before your post. It covers some of what you refer to, especially the FBI part.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

You said it well, Arc. I am really shocked that people will sink this low.This has gone past mere partisan politics to something truly ugly! FWIW, George W. Bush has stood up for Kavanaugh.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

That cartoon really knocks the nail on the head! I just took a look at the latest headlines. Even if he gets confirmed, they are going to keep on through November. This is SICK.