1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just How Legal Should It Be?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

While searching for some information on Identity Theft, I came across this site. Obviously, I don't think there's much in the way of outrage that these sites exist, else they'd be gone. I'm curious, is this something that we are just inclined to accept as just another seemy underbelly of the internet, or should this be legislated against?

After I inadvertently found that site, I went ahead and ran a google search for 'fake ID' and the astronomical number of returns floored me. Point your browser in this direction for a wakeup call.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

No the information is protected by free speech, doing something with it is a different thing. BTW, the infamous Anarchist Cookbook is getting harder to find in general, still easy though. Except for Hate Crime and being determined sane to stand trial we don't have thought crimes in this country. Some of these guides will get you arrested as they are poorly written and use procedures since changed from the 1970's. You don't think that Copzilla and BDD, don't order these books too.

3. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I think Paladin Press is the grandfather of these "freedom" publishers; for decades, they've published books on how to commit assassinations, build bombs, alter semi-auto weapons to autofire, military combat techniques, change identities, get revenge... and more.

Here's a 1998 article from the Washington Post reviewing Palladin, their actions, and the history of suits against them, including the notorious case where James Edward Perry (who used a book on assassination from Paladin as reference), was hired by Lawrence T. Horn to kill Horn's wife, Mildred, their eight-year-old quadriplegic son, and the son's nurse.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/may99/hitman72698.htm

How can they knowningly sell these books to people who may have criminal intent and not be held libel? They have the following rider on their website and order forms:

- "WARNING: Paladin does not intend for any of the information contained in its books or videos to be used for criminal purposes."

- "All U.S. and foreign customers: It is YOUR responsibility to research and comply with all laws regarding the topics covered in Paladin books and videos."

- "For entertainment purposes only"

I'm sure this will stop all potential criminals dead in their tracks
    :(

History of Palladin Press, from their web site:
    "Lund started branching out beyond military subjects to titles on topics he felt were right for the times. As the interests of the public changed over the years, Paladins topics expanded to include identity change, credit secrets, self-defense, undercover operations, espionage, personal freedom, action careers, covert surveillance, electronic eavesdropping, bounty hunting, explosives, knives and knife fighting, sniping, martial arts, and police science. Although some topics fell out of favor after a period, others have remained popular. Combat weaponry is one such topic that is just as popular today as it was in 1970. In fact, two of Paladins recent best-sellers are Living With Glocks: The Complete Guide to the New Standard in Combat Handguns by Robert H. Boatman and the special color edition of Jeff Coopers seminal book, The Art of the Rifle.

In some areas, such as with firearm silencers, Paladin led the way by publishing the first works available to the public. Many of the books dealt with but did not advocate employing potentially illegal activities or devices. These generated a lot of controversy and sales.

From the late 1970s on, Paladins titles and sales doubled almost yearly, and today the company has established itself as the unquestioned leader in the action book market, with a list of more than 800 titles, generating sales of hundreds of thousands of books yearly.

George Haydukes Get Even: The Complete Book of Dirty Tricks, first published in 1980, opened up new markets for Paladin. This humorous approach to revenge struck a universal chord with folks frustrated by their run-ins with bureaucrats, bullies, and bad guys in general. It remains Paladins all-time best-seller, with close to 150,000 hardback copies sold which would place Get Even on a lot of national best-seller lists. It isnt on any such lists, however, because Paladins lineup remains controversial in some circles."

4. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

from the website
    I wonder how many look at the bottom of the website... ;)

Most of the things on that website can be homemade by anyone with a computer, printer and a basic photo editing program. No need to pay the money they want for their "products"...

Oh... and by the way... it is just as illegal to use the do it yourself stuff as it is to buy their merchandise and use it...

BDD... :{)

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Yah! Shure BDD.

Yamming Svenson

:)