1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just How Good Are Those Skills?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Aside from the recent influx of members, much of what has transpired here recently always leads down predictable paths, given our individual leanings and our predisposed assumptions concerning how those on the opposite side of the coin from us see things.

Having said all that, I think it would be pretty damned cool if we declared a topic and asked people to convincingly argue the side of the topic that they are actualy opposed to. For the first topic, I'd like to suggest this article.

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ok Coot,

I'll take up that challenge.

Energy, contrary to the common adage, it is what makes the world go around.

If you think I'm kidding shut off all your circuit breakers and see what your world turns to. In my case, it
    would be life-threatening. Aside from the damage to water pipes, food in the refrigerator would start to rot, the house plants would die and the place would quite rapidly become uninhabitable.

Shut off all our energy supply and the lifestyle we have become accustomed to disappears. Like driving to work? Mass transit? How about having your food delivered?

We have become so accustomed to our energy nourished lives, we take it for granted. This is a tradeoff we overwhelmingly find acceptable.

Hey, here's a head's up! Fossil Fuels are finite. We will reach the end someday. Considering we don't even seem to concerned about slowing the rate of consumption, it will happen sooner rather than later.

The amusing part about this situation is the near uniform ability to all ends on the political spectrum to use the energy infrastructure we have out in place. We are addicted to our communications, transportation and conveniences of every imaginable type which make our daily life as rich and fruitful as it is.

As Northern Vermont greets the onset of winter, temperatures are already below freezing almost every night with some nights cold and windy enough it would be very uncomfortable to walk across the street without wearing an overcoat, scarf, hat and the hand protection of your choice over the layers of inside clothes.

Now, where does this energy come from? Well we all know we are mostly dependant on fossil fuels. While there are alternatives, (Nuclear, Solar and Wind to mention three) we seem to predominately gravitate toward oil and gas.

I submit, there is no conspiracy or anything underhanded going on here, this is a matter of preferences and economics. Let's face it, we do not have significantly advanced technology to create a car powered by Nuclear, Solar or Wind. I don't believe either of those three sources will ever be viable as a standalone energy source for personal or materials transportation.

Ok, where's this energy going to come from. As much as I hate to admit it, we've pretty much drilled just about everywhere except for our backyards (we're pretty sure there isn't any oil there or we would have) and several places declared off limits for a variety of good reasons.

Padre Island is designated a National Park. It is undeveloped and is rarely visited by tourists except for a brief period during the spring.

The proposed exploratory drilling would certainly be handled with all the necessary respect for the environment you have come to expect from the Energy Industry.

Itochu Oil Exploration Co., Ltd. is typical of the new generation of energy developers concerned with keeping the environment intact while allowing for us to economically take care of our needs.

<small>As quoted from their website</small>
    <i>"In the new century, CIECO will also strive to improve upon our strong commitment to protecting the environment, particularly in those regions where we are actively working. I believe that such an attitude must start at the top here in Tokyo and then be promoted throughout our affiliated offices. Further building upon CIECO's use of developing technology is another part of our company's plan to become more environmentally friendly. After all, such practices benefit everyone in the end."</i>

President Clinton's Department of Energy publication "Environmental Benefits of Advanced Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Technology," October 1999 contains the following excerpts:

<i>"From the tundra of Alaska to the wetlands of Louisiana, a host of advanced technologies enable the oil and gas industry to produce resources far beneath sensitive environments." -page 56

"On land and offshore, oil and gas producers have developed innovative ways to restore sites to original - and sometimes better-than-original - condition, for diverse uses ranging from housing to agriculture to wildlife habitats." - page 50</i>

You can read further about the report here.

I think we should allow this exploration to go forward in a safe, responsible manner. Otherwise, let's
    just turn off everything for a couple of days until we become a little more reasonable.

Have a warm and comfortable day!
    <small>Brought to you by the people trying desperately to find a lie bold enough for
    you to allow them to get away with making billions from our National treasures!

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ken is going for PoW alright. He has my nomination. :)

Coot, excellent idea!

Why in UiF though?

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Great post Ken; I hope this is not totally opposite of the way you feel. ;)

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey! Padre Island is near my hometown! You can already see about five oil rigs out there, not to mention Bob Hall Pier.

SM

6. mendnwngs

mendnwngs Uber Script Kiddie

Ill give it a shot too..

'AHEM'

I like my job, Its a fun job.. I love working for clueless managers, and big-headed bosses..

;)

-Jason

7. mikeky

mikeky Member

You fail; I didn't believe you for a minute. ;)

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Not so fast there Ken, big oil has always played fast and loose with the environment. They've hired alcoholic tanker captains, they've ruined the earth around land based rigs, and let's not forget the accidents that have sent literally tons of pollutants into the atmosphere when an oil or gas rig goes up in flames.

Opening up ANWR to drilling holds the potential for untold disaster, given their track record for environmental safety. Add to that a second arctic pipeline for natural gas, one terrorist hit and the damage to the atmosphere could be devastating.

No thank you. I think everyone could and should get used to driving Yugo's. By doing so, we can preserve and conserve until technology catches up. Can everyone say "hydrogen fuel cell"? It wouldn't be that far away if we just threw some money at the science so that we could efficiently bust the hydrogen/oxygen bond and just make the fuel out of seawater.

Furthermore, I think most of us could afford to turn off some lights and not cramp our lascivious and over consumptive lifestyles. In fact everyone could turn off the PC for a while and just go for a walk.

Use a little less, pay a little more...it's for all of our own good.

Edit: Oh Ethics, I started this in UIF because it gets so damned frustrating to write this stuff and someone's gonna slip up and get us all sent here anyway ;)