1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had to share this story!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sharondippity, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

From AP

Joe Thompson III, age 18, hangs onto utility wires as he waits for emergency workers to rescue him after he was thrown onto the wires following an auto accident in Blue Springs, Mo. Monday, Jan. 27, 2003. Thompson spent 20 minutes hanging onto the wire before he was rescued and was not injured in the incident. (AP Photo/Fred Farmer)

2. nitewriter

nitewriter To Perceive Is To Suffer

My congrats to the rescue workers for getting there in such a timely fashion.

3. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

and to the guy for holding on for 20 minutes. I wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds ;)

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Pretty incredible. Almost to the point of unbelievable. What do you think Copzilla and BDD? Possible?

5. Sharondippity

I wish it told whether he was wearing a seal belt or not. I speculate that he wasn't, and that "being thrown clear from the accident" theory sure panned out in a bad way ha ha ha.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

He wasn't wearing one. Article I read when this first hit stated he nailed the pole, got tossed up, and he snagged the wire on the way up. He's lucky.. If he'd have been going any faster, it's possible the wire would have acted like a hot knife through butter.

7. mikeky

mikeky Member

One of the articles I read about it said he wasn't wearing one. If true, maybe he has a future in the circus as the guy shot out of a cannon.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

That kid got damned lucky.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

THe reason he lived (with the wire) is that he wasn't grounded, correct?

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Correct

11. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Damn that's scarey. This guy was lucky like biker said. Could have been messy and they could have been cleaning up sections of him had he been going fast enough into those wires. Just the thought of it makes me kinda sick.

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The reason this hopefully wiser teenager lived was because the power lines are above him. Whatever lines he is holding onto are not energized according to the article I read at another site. He is lucky in the extreme as the article did say the lines directly above him had to be de-energized before rescue could be attempted.

EDIT: Story here:

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/028/nation/Teenager_thrown_25_feet_in_air:.shtml

13. Sharondippity

The driver of the other car, Justin B. Elam, of Olathe, Kan., came immediately to check on Thompson.

''I just started saying, `Dude, turn off my car.' He looked around at first, he couldn't find me. Then he looked up and saw me,'' Thompson said.

14. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

............If those wires are "LIVE" they usually carry 10,500volts which is then stepped down at transformers to 120V for residential use. If it's three phase which it usually is he's damn lucky he didn't make contact with one of the other phases. I 've got pictures of what happens when you do and it ain't pretty........:eek:

15. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Certainly.

One of the wierdest accidents I ever worked involved a guy towing a trailer downside of an overpass. Trailer came unhitched, and the guy looked to his right to see his trailer pass right by him. Then it got to the bottom of the hill, ran up a power pole stabilizer wire, up the pole, right up into the power lines, where it wrapped itself up nice and tight. Crazy.

16. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Absolutely possible! In 30+ years of accident reconstruction, I've seen just about everything but pigs flying (well... I've seen the effects of them having been catapulted from a truck... ;) )!!

I investigated on where some youngsters had been drag racing on the city streets. Their Camaro hit a utility pole. Speed estimate of 100+mph. Largest unbroken, unbent piece of the car was a tail light section. Driver and rear seat passenger killed instantly. Front seat passenger was ejected (no seat belt) through the windshield and received only a mild concussion and various scrapes...

BDD... :{)