1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just announced troop deployments...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sunriser13, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Thought y'all might be interested in this...

Just announced as a special report on my local station:

Camp Lejeune - 7000 Marines deployed.

Seymour-Johnson AFB - 4th Fighter Wing deployed.

Ft. Bragg - many, many support troops put on alert, expected to be deployed within about the next week.

All that is being confirmed for location at this time is that they're going to SE Asia...

2. mike

mike mesmerized

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/10/sproject.irq.navy.marines/index.html

And quoted:
    "WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Three United States Navy ships began to deploy Friday from their home base in Norfolk, Virginia, to pick up several thousand Marines in North Carolina, Navy officials said.

The ships received deployment orders Friday morning to pick up 7,000 Marines, according to Pentagon officials.

The Marines have been given orders to embark, which puts them on board the ships, but officials note it may be a day or two before they also receive their actual orders to deploy.

The three ships are:

The USS Saipan, which is an Amphibious Assault Ship.

The USS Ponce, an Amphibious Transport Dock ship.

The USS Gunston Hall, a Dock Landing Ship.

Together, the group comprises what the military calls an Amphibious Ready Group., or ARG.

Such groups deploy with a large weapons supply, helicopters and Marines for overseas assignments.

The deployment for the ARG was originally to occur during the late summer, but now has been moved earlier to support U.S. military forces already in the Persian Gulf region, according to a U.S. Navy official.

The Marines -- the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade are expected to receive their orders to deploy to the Gulf region within a day, according to a Marine official. "

3. Sunriser13

Thanks, Mike, for the link.

I was going only by what I saw on the special report... all of the above I mentioned are bases in NC, by the way, so apparently these are the ships being sent to pick up the Marines at Camp Lejeune.

4. mike

mike mesmerized

No problem, anytime, I am still checking my release page (DoD) every other minute but nothing was prepared in a release as of yet.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I doubt there's turning this back...

6. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

But if you don't think about the reasons and just focus on our attaining control of the 2nd biggest oil reserve in all the world it is kinda exciting. I am looking forward to our continual growth as a superpower and eventual dominion over the rest of the world.

wapu

7. pupowski

pupowski Banned

There should be, because every American injured or killed in this war, is blood on the hands of Bush and the other wingnut warlords in this administration. This un-American adventure is a corrupt cabal's war for oil, ego, and imperialist glory. War is justified to protect our homeland and defend the Constitution. This one jeopordizes both. George W. Bush is a coward, liar, and bully, unfit to be commander in chief of the US military. When we were filling body bags in Vietnam, he was AWOL from the Texas National Guard for 18 months. He said he fought in the war, that's a lie! Neither he, Cheney, Rumsfield, Perle, or Wolfowitz have seen combat. The Congress that surrendered war powers to him is equally out of touch. Of 535 members, only one has a child at risk in this war. The assault upon our Constitution, Bill of Rights, freedoms, and security, is from the axis of incompetence in the White House, not the butcher of Bagdhad.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Ouch!

9. mike

mike mesmerized

paraphrasing what I heard this morning on an am talk show.....pupowski, was that you I heard??

10. Sunriser13

Here are a few links from just one of the major Eastern NC television stations...

<u>Camp Lejeune Marines Deployed to Persian Gulf</u>
    <u>Seymour Johnson Receives Deployment Order</u>
    <u>Units of the 18th Airborne Corps and First Corps Support Command</u> are on orders to deploy.

National Guard troops are being rounded up as well:
    <u>1st Battalion of the 130th Attack Helicopter Regiment</u>, which is a National Guard attack helicopter unit...
    From the article: "The battalion will begin gathering Friday and be fully mobilized at the end of the month.

Guard Captain Robert Carver says the troops then will move to an Army post somewhere in the United States for training. It's unclear where they'll go after that.

The unit was mobilized in 1991 for Operation Desert Storm."

Also, from the same article: "More than 60 members of 3rd platoon of the 14-51st Motor Transportation Company in Boone have been placed on alert status and told to prepare for possible deployment. The heavy truck transportation unit that supports elements of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg."

So far, nobody is saying if more of the 82nd are to be sent at this time.

*Edited to add this as well, regarding some other troops, including some of the 101st Airborne, doctors from Womack Army Medical Center and the 10th Mountain Division from Fort Drum, NY:
    <u>More Troops Preparing to Deploy</u>