1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a heads up, Opera 7 Final Released Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Just a heads up. Keep an eye on the FTP servers. Once it hits the major sites they'll be swamped with upgraders...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Woot!

I will try to download it and then have it available here. If I catch it in time that is. :)

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Look forward to that one now that I've got a taste with version 6.05.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

*newb alert*

What's so great about Opera that IE or Netscape don't match up to?

5. ethics

Try it when it comes out. It's free and it's easy to uninstall if you don't like it. :)

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Its faster loading pages, has more flexibility that allows you to make it look the way you like, its innovative with, for example, the option of going forward and backwith simple mouse clicks. i've only just got into it a few days ago but like what I see so far.
    Worth trying Misu, especially this new release I would say.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Will it display sites with special IE tags? I have my website with those little tags, for colored bars, etc, and I know that netscape doesn't view it.

And can you really tell the difference in page load times? I have cable modem, and pages seem to load pretty well.

Also, will I be able to listen to use the same plugins like with IE?

8. Techie2000

1. No. They are special IE tags for a reason. Generally if you use special IE tags anyone that doesn't use MSIE will bash you to death for being a bad web designer. I learned that in my early days of web design...

2. Yup you can tell a difference. I have DSL and I can tell the difference.

3. It should work with the plugins fine. Might require a little more tinkering but should be fine. Quicktime, and Windows Media work fine for me. Real plugin doesn't seem to work. I just have it open the real player itself to play it instead of playing it inside the browser...

9. ethics

Opera 7 Final is out. All US servers are hosed, but I took Hungary and it took less than a minute.

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Whoopie!

Thanks guys!

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Awesome! They fixed the memory leak bug. I'm back in GA with Opera. Die IE, die!

12. ethics

I DON'T like the reload on this new Opera. Seems as if I have to click twice many times?

Also, to close one of my pages, the tab is now NEW page. Gonna be a few days to get used to that.

13. Techie2000

I just use the up then down mouse gesture to reload...

14. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

So the choice is where to download from and to do it with or without Java. The first question is easy to answer the second not so. Java a good idea or not?

And no need to uninstall the current version I have running?

15. ethics

If on broadband get java. You probably have a version on it, but, I just get the whole thing.

No need to uninstall.

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

.:thumbsup:

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

This new version is even faster than the previous. Looks great too. I'm like a kid with a new toy. :)

18. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Ditch, be sure and check out all the skins you can customize it with. Hit view/skin/get skins. Once youv'e downloaded the ones you like, you can easily switch how it looks with just a couple of clicks.

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'll do that, thanks.

Its a lot of fun and being new to not only version 7 but Opera as a browsing experience I have to say its impressive.

Before you know it someone will be calling it the thinking person's browser.;) Not sure why, it just hapens to sound good.:)

20. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Am I the only one with problems having Opera display pages correctly ??

Pop up opera and IE or Mozilla on the screen and load up the same pages. Alot look just kinda messed up in Opera, I'm especially having trouble with Ebay on Opera where the tables on the "my ebay" page are totally hosed.

Oh well, I might have to stick to mozilla which is what I've been using for the last year or so. Opera is just weird, unless I have it misconfigured or something and if I do, Its not like I changed anything. It should work without me having to much around on anything.