1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judge rules federal genital mutilation law unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What the actual fuck?

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

As one who intently studies and writes about the Constitution, who has read the words of and about the men who wrote it, I have this to say about the decision:

He's right.

A federal government by its' design a government to regulate other governments. The EU is a federal government because it "rests on top of" the nations of Europe.

Our federal government was designed from the beginning to regulate the interactions of the states with each other (which are functionally independent countries) and sovereign states outside of our Union.

I am against Roe v. Wade and Obgerfell v. Hodges not because they are bad rulings, rather because these laws are, like this, local issues. Each state did (and should be able to) decide by themselves if they allow abortions, or same-sex marriage, or any of a dozen other issues.

With this issue, namely the criminalization of genital mutilation, Congress really has zero power to prevent this unless the doctor/facility receives federal services or support. When you have a doctor or facility that does not take Medicare/Medicaid/Chip funding, the federal government has no leverage over them.

I personally think FGM is a horrendous thing that degrades and enslaves women. Anyone who tries to make a logical argument for it to me will not receive words from me to dissuade them from that position, I will beat them with whatever I have available until I break every bone in their body and then reduce them to the consistency of Play-Doh. Keeping them alive, conscious and coherent as long as possible.