1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Gruber Says Seniors Choose Badly

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Jonathan Gruber has made headlines recently. As one of the "architects" (architects is in quotes because I don't want anybody to think I am assigning them a real skill level) of the Affordable Care Act he has publicly stated the American electorate is stupid and that is why they could push ACA through. He is, of course not entirely wrong about large parts of the electorate. Promise them something for fee and they vote for it. The ACA was not understood by the Congress that enacted it. Any naysayers were labeled tea partiers or racist. We have since discovered that many of the promises were false and were known to be false when made. The act has, if figures published are accurate enabled many Americans to obtain health care at a more reasonable cost than before.

What ticked me off today about his saying seniors are making bad choices about medicare is that the reason is not because they are seniors or all beginning dementia. The reason bad choices are made is that the ACA is built on the for profit insurance model. Which means every company out there is spending a fortune mailing and robocalling anybody old enough to need a part D plan or a gap plan. I get at least a dozen in the mail a week. I don't think seniors are making bad choices because they are seniors, I think they are making less than perfect choices because there are so many. It's like any other kind of shopping. When inundated with sale ads about what you need and the quality of each you can make an educated purchase which is to say an educated crap shoot.

I am for national health care and have said so from the beginning. From the beginning I said any plan built on the failed foundation of the insurance companies will fail. I have yet to see anything to change my mind.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This guy is a piece of work and a Liberal shill... But I am being redundant.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Johathan Gruber is an ignorant jerk.

I have decidedly mixed feelings about a national health system because it was never all that it was cut out to be in Canada. But my supplementary insurance for Medicare works well me because it is the same company that provided a first-rate insurance plan for me during the years I was working in Utah. That's the state where my pension comes from too.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member