1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Join our Everquest Online Game!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Domh, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I would, Frodo, but I want to start with the new Frog race that's coming out on 21st. ;)

What class were you thinking of, anyway?

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

It is a pick between a Elf Ranger or a Barbarian Warrior (Tank).

3. ethics

Well both are tanks but the war can take more licking. I think you will be bored with war in no time, so go with ranger. Snare will be needed A LOT when we pull.

EMIG is gonna play his chanter, I guess and that's awesome. Domhain is still up in air with his.

Pending on Domhain, I may either go the Cleric/Shammy line or perhaps go with the SK. You snare, I fear and we have easy mobs for a long while.

4. Frodo Lives

ethics, did you get the new expansion yet?

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Man Im gonna have alot of lingo to catch up on.

Id like to play a Monk from what Ive been reading. Thoughts?

Timewise, for now I have Saturdays all day for gaming and I think friday 6-9pm.

Come April I will have 6-9pm weeknights.

Say the word and I guess Ill find a way to make this work...

6. ethics

Yes Frodo, I am all set to go whenever you guys are!!!

I also have some goodies for some of you so no one is gonna be nekkid when they start out.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Looks like I can get the planes bundle for 20 bucks - which will get me in.

Ill report back in in the next couple days, I need to wrangle a credit card out of hiding.

Does monk sound good? I hear they are fun to play...

;)

8. ethics

Monks are very fun, Domhain, but remember their primary role is to "pull".

What that means, is that we all sit together in a group, right by a monster (called MOB in EQ) camp. Needless to say, you only want to pull one monster at a time, since anything more would be a group killer. There are spells, such as Druid's Harmony spell which sort of lulls other monsters to not agro you (agro means get aggresive and start going after you). But most of the time, and especially towards higher levels, it is the Monk's primary job to pull monsters because Monks have a skill (I think they get it at level 16) called Feign Death.

What that does is this.

Say you pull a few Blood Wolves from their house, and you only wanted one. You obviously do not want to run with all of them towards our camp which would probably kill us all (and here is where an enchanter --EMIG's class-- comes in handy because they are the only class that can "entrance" mobs. What that does is make them stand in one place and just stare in to space, giving you time to beat the crap out of one of the mobs that we, as a group, want to concentrate on) so what you do is click on FD and IF successfull, the Wolves think you are dead and stop agroing you. They start going back and this is when someone-- a warrior or other tank-- can "tag" the mob, meaning that he can use their bow to pull the closest mob while they are walking away.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. It's really easy to get a hang of.

Being that a Monk is NOT a tank (they are not "meat shields" and do not have a lot of HP--they do, however, evade alot with their agility) but they are fast in their attacks, have cool specialized attacks like tail rake (for Iksar's only) or Dragon Punch. Plus, later on in the game, each class get their own disciplines, which give you more cool things. :)

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

Sounds ok - but also looks like I will level slowly...

Id also be down with a ranger. Love the bow. Whats their primary role - advantages, disadvantages?

10. ethics

Unlike Rangers in other games, the bow is actually comes in third for priority on EQ. Most of the time you will be snaring, buffing a bit, and being used as a tank. A Ranger is 3/4 warrior and 1/4 Druid. Rangers have low level druid spells which enhance their role but they are not the best meatshields around, at least in my humble opinion.

However, for a group, we need at least 1 tanks, one puller, one cleric, and one either Shamman, Druid, or Beastlord. One enchanter is a must and one Mage or Wizzie. If we go 2 tank route, we might have to skip the Shammy/Druid class. But playing in EQ is more about what role you like rather than anything else.

11. ethics

Domh--and others, perhaps selection of what type of a player you'd like can be found on this site: http://eq.crgaming.com/

Classes are listed on the left frame and if you go in it will show you FAQ's, creation guides, each specialized skills, etc... Don't get too overwhelmed with the info, however, it's NOT that complicated no matter how much it may seem so. :)

12. Frodo Lives

Ahhh, I might play a rogue, Dual wield + back-stab.

I will probably stay with a ranger, Dual wield + double attack. up to 4 attacks. nice.

13. ethics

I might go with a cleric though. You boys are nothing with your dual wields without timely heals. :p

14. Frodo Lives

and SOW. Lol.

I think I will make a character tonight on FV. Will you be on?

When we make a character, we should post the name and class here.

15. Domh

Domh Full Member

http://www.unknownplayer.com/archive/03/02/21/1412.php

Free EQ download and play for a month.

Ill check the download tonight.

:thumbsup:

16. Domh

Domh Full Member

OK I got the 450 Meg download, installed, started and now its patching what looks to be about another 500-750 megs of... stuff.

No clue whats going on, but Ill keep the reports coming.

;)

17. Domh

Domh Full Member

OK it looks like I got, for free, the basic game, the newest Ykesha upgrade.

I registered using an acct code I happened to find on the packaging of a EQ trilogy box in a Walmart *ahem*.

Now Im trying to logon and get the free month, but it doesnt seem to be there.

Worst case scenario Ill just buy a month for 13 bucks and try it out.

I do NOT seem to have planes of power.

Will I still be able to logon to the FV server?

18. ethics

Yeh. You are missing:

Ruins of Kunark, Shadows of Luclin (moon zones), and Scars of Velious.

You can decide on those later, when you like the game so much you will sell your next born or hate it and come after me and Frodo. ;)

19. Frodo Lives

Keep us posted with what happens.
    You should be able to log into the FV server.

BTW: The new frog race looks great.

I created a barbarian warrior: Thundarfist.

I don't know if I will keep that one.

20. Domh

Domh Full Member

It looks like the free download included EQ classic, at least 2 of those expansions and Ykesha. I wont be able to look into it more until Friday night.

The station reports im in for one free month, owe nothing - but when I start the game it says I have no account.

:rolleyes:

Meh - 13 bucks a month. From what Im reading online Ill be divorced and in the Betty Ford clinic soon.