1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Palmer Related to Kennedy?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, May 12, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, around the eyes. What a story! I have been involved in two of these adoptions. One of them was just a minor thing, helping someone who wasn't familiar with the geographical area. She was later successful in finding her father.

The other instance was one of the most emotionally wrenching journeys I ever had to go on in genealogy. A woman had contacted me about 18 months earlier to ask me about her husband's match with me, adding that he was adopted, and she had been looking for his real mother for over 25 years. It was a distant relationship that I couldn't figure out, so we shelved it for the time being.

Eighteen months later, in an action unrelated to the above, I had a 3rd cousin tested in one of my four main branches. He came up as a half 1st cousin of the man who had been adopted. His wife immediately contacted me, and we went to work on it, along with cooperation from my 3rd cousin. It helped that my research partner was also a librarian.

To make a long story short, it started with an unfaithful wife during World War I, whose husband was later KIA. Her out-of- wedlock daughter grew up to have her own out-of-wedlock daughter, who grew up to have the out-of-wedlock son who became the husband of my research partner. We narrowed down via the DNA results and paper trail to two women. That was as far as we could go without contacting the descendants of the two women. My partner called one of the families and got a man who told her he knew very little about his mother's side of the family, but had always wanted to know more. He agreed to be tested and the results were what we expected to see. His mother, it turned out, knew the whole story and shared it with my research partner, enabling us to narrow down to the one woman we'd been looking for. Everything is backed up now with birth certificates, etc. A search that had been ongoing for 28 years was solved in two months with the help of DNA.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's an awesome story in itself, Allene.

Allene likes this.