1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jenny Craig: DELUSIONAL!!!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Greg, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've been seeing this Jenny Craig commercial on television the last few weeks, and I'm so amused that I've been planning on taking a pot shot at Jenny Craig and Kirstie Alley, and this post is it. In the commercial, Kirsty is bragging about how Jenny Craig helped her use all those ugly pounds:

[​IMG]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that some kind of a sow in a tent awning? If purple is "before" and black is "after," people must be delusional to not see that Kirstie Alley is a fat, ugly slob, and that Jenny Craig didn't turn her back into the cute actress from the sitcom.

I wouldn't do Alley even with Stiofan's "thing." ;) ;) ;) Oink, oink! Moo, moo! ;) ;) ;)

This commercial just cracks me up! What ever the hell is Jenny Craig thinking? Are their customers delusional?

"Does this dress make me look fat?"

"Hell no! It's your fat ass that makes you look fat!" :rofl:

full commercial: link

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Fat, yes, ugly? Nope! ;)

But yeah, I agree. I don't know, maybe this is the "real woman" commercial Dove is so enamored with.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YbMfr_QO7Sw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YbMfr_QO7Sw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Sorry, not seeing anything wrong here. :)

[​IMG]

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thanks for you post Six. :) Actually the video seemed kind of sad to me.

Needham, all I can say is that you like your heifers with a bit more meat than I do. :) I'm more athletic than most folks at my age, and only a small pot to my belly (most people my age can't avoid it), but I think Alley was beautiful when she was on the sitcom. Today I wouldn't even date Alley because she's too fat.

I think that Jenny Craig thought her Kirstie Alley campaign was going to work out differently. I think she was expecting to have the cute actress back, when all she got was a "real woman" example that would mostly appeal to fat people.

The reason I started this discussion in "Society and Culture" is because I wonder how the expectations of our culture shape our bodies. If everybody thinks that Alley's weight is okay then maybe I'm at odds with everybody else. That's not trim! I don't think she's even slim enough to qualify for being a healthy weight.

What does everybody else think? Is this healthy? Or is it unhealthy to attempt to get to a reasonable weight? Where's the dividing line? Or are we just going to supersize everybody, kind of like devaluing the dollar? Is is a sliding scale depending on the average weight of everybody?

6. MNeedham73

People's tastes differ, LH :)

As for healthy, I would say, IMO, that Kirstie Alley's *current* weight, in the long run, is probably healthier than some of the rail-thin, emaciated looking actresses around Hollywood right now. Seen Teri Hatcher lately? Ewww.

(For the record, I wouldn't touch Kirstie Alley, not for her appearance, but because she's old enough to be my mother).

7. SixofNine

Or Nicole Ritchie.

8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I think weight/size/beauty is definitely an individual thing. I'm not sure we'll come up with any sort of consensus as to what is a "reasonable weight".

Personally, I like women to have at least some meat on their bones and some curves. If I had to draw some sort of dividing line, I'd probably say sizes 6 through 12 are most attractive to me. Of course, every woman will carry that size/weight differently so it would ultimately depend on the individual woman.

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

No, I haven't seen Teri Hatcher since the first season of Desperate Housewives. (I quit watching prime TV since then.) She looked okay in the premier season.

Calista Flockheart is who I can't stand. She looks like a commercial for emetics. Actually, she's a visual emetic. Another "ewwwww!"

There's got to be a happy medium somewhere between Alley and Flockheart.

10. MNeedham73

Hmm...Lucy Lawless maybe? ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Greg

Greg Full Member

You sure force a guy to make difficult choices. Lawless is attractive, but not the kind of attractive that makes me want to sleep with her. It will probably come as no surprise that I prefer petite women, or at least on the lesser side of average size. I'm not a supersized American, not a big guy. I just have a big mouth. ;)

12. MNeedham73

I'm 6'3" and 160-ish pounds. I know what you mean :)

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Let me guess, you're relatively thin and since the world revolves around you, everybody should be likewise thin.

The above is in jest of course, but it points out everyone views these issues through their own eyes. Alley was definitly overweight to the point of causing some health problems, but by all accounts she's lost a lot of weight and is still moving down. Kudos to her. As far as what's attractive to different people, well the saying there's no accounting for taste is really true.

Then again, some women would have a word for your taste...Shallow. :)

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

I would be 6'3" if I were run over by a train and they placed all the bigger pieces in a straight line. ;)

Maybe I'm afraid of large women. :) You wouldn't want to get sucked in there in a moment of passion. ;)

[See, this guy was f---ing Kirstie Alley and he had to strap a board across his ass so he wouldn't fall in, but the board broke and the inevitable happened. So he's barging around inside there and suddenly he meets another guy: "How do we get out of here?" he asked. The reply: "Help me find my car keys and we can drive my out in my Cadillac!" (Old joke, rephrased.)]

15. MNeedham73

Never did understand the idea behind this type of comment.

16. SixofNine

Yes, in my first serious point in this thread, Alley lost a figurative ton of weight. She should have had a lifesized "before" picture of herself when she returned to the Oprah show.

17. ethics

I think that could have been said better, but we all know you haven't the way with soft words. :)

LH, I see where you are coming from but there are a few things that you need to understand as well. As some already pointed out Alley was a lot larger than she is now. Unhealthy large, as in, obesity is not just about how one looks.

Secondly, Alley is comfortable with this new weight. Heck, for her to walk out that way, in a bikini? She is SHOUTING her comfort.

Thirdly, culturally this country is extreme in the thin department, not the other way around. There has to be a happy median here and we are either sticking too skinny chicks (ala Moss) in to what every girl needs to look like, or decline and reject that we have a serious obesity problem here in the US (and the world, actually).

Last but not least, Alley is GORGEOUS. She is truly a beautiful woman, regardless of her weight. If you guys want to push that out of you bed, by all means, send it my way. I think she is very attractive, fun, and that confidence she emanates just has SEXY written all over it.

In summary, my biggest confusion is the reaction of the women on the Oprah show but then again, I shouldn't be. I mean, that's the type she coddles to, it's the type that watches and cares about Oprah things--although Oprah is not exactly thin and would never dare walk out in a bikini like Alley did.

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

Um, because it's a joke and doesn't have to make literal sense? :)

BTW I did not intend to ridicule Kirstie Alley. It's great that she lost some weight and I hope she will continue to do so until she reaches her ideal weight, and then stay there. Lord knows it's easier to stay the same weight than it is to lose weight.

I did intend to ridicule Jenny Craig. I guess she/they got stuck in a poorly planned advertising campaign since she/they didn't consider what they would do if Alley didn't lose sufficient weight. (She didn't IMO.) I further ridicule them for continuing the campaign, although perhaps the fallout of quitting the campaign before the grand finale would have been economically injurious to the corporation considering it would be more or less a vote of no confidence, a resignation in defeat. But to just continue on and pretend she's thin, fit and trim???

Meanwhile I'm facing a weight loss battle of my own, having just recovered from an injury that kept me away from exercising for 9 months. (My chosen exercise is walking 1-2 miles a day, carrying 3 pound weights in each hand, and my foot injury kept me from walking.) I'm about 10 pounds above my ideal weight and hope to get down before the end of summer. Amusingly, I was considering Jenny Craig for perhaps a month on the program, but I think I'll be able to make it without that just by exercising and eating sensibly.

19. ethics

I really think JC tried to go the "real woman" thing ala Dove with their "real women, real curves" bit.

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

I tend to agree with you considering that there are more fat "real women" (potential JC customers) out there than there are trim women who need to lose only a few pounds. It's a resignation that "real women" will likely never get down to a reasonable size. Perhaps it's not a bad thing since losing any weight at all is better than remaining fat and remaining subject to the worst ravages of obesity.

Besides, nobody needs Jenny Craig if they are already within shootin' distance of a reasonable weight. Jenny Craig will do better financially if they stick to shrinking whales, and the whales will complain less if they feel they have reached their goal when they reach Kirstie Alley's size.

It sure must be a bitch to be fat. Not only are you ridiculed but you may die before your time on account of the obesity. I feel sorry for those beyond hope. At the same time I'm outraged by the attitude that "fat is okay." That's tantamount to just surrendering and accepting the consequences of obesity.