1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan's Whaling Fleet Draws Ire

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Plunge, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Some species were endangered when full scale commercial whaling was taking place. Since that was banned whale populations have increased significantly. The argument against reintroducing commercial whaling is that the Japanese don't give a stuff and will hunt until they drop. They obviously have no regard as to whether a species becomes endangered or not.

As far as I'm concerned JD, and others like him, are making claims that are false and poorly researched. When presented with evidence that contradict their claims, they choose to simply ignore it. One last time I'll say it. Claims of research by the Japanese are lies and they are naive to expect anyone to take them seriously. But I guess that matters zilch to anyone who has no problems looking you in the eye and lying. The truth or not of their statements matter little to them.

You're entitled to your opinion LH as to whether to kill and eat animals. Call me soft and sentimental if you like, but I feel the opposite to you and that is one of the motivations for the continuation of my posting to this thread.

The Japanese will be down in the southern oceans again soon and the protesters will be there as well. The rumours of the Japanese govt sending a naval vessel as protection for the whalers, if true, will only add spice to the confrontations.

2. Japanese daruma

Japanese daruma Registered User

ditch,

One last time I'll say it. Claims of research by the Japanese are lies and they are naive to expect anyone to take them seriously.

Research whaling is a RIGHT any IWC member has. It is not about lie or truth.

3. Japanese daruma

Lovehound,

If anybody really cared whether or not they were endangered, the justification for more research would be better founded if they weren't feeding the meat to dogs and school children. That really gives the appearance of "screw 'em, we'll eat 'em until somebody proves we're driving the species to extinction."

Consuming all whale meat is a mandate, specified in IWC rules, for research whaling. Research whaling and eating the by-product are inseparble, because that is a regulation.

Dog food made from whale meat does not really extist in realtiy. No one can really locate such a product for sale.

I don't understand what is wrong with providing school kids with whale meat. It is well-known for high protine, low fat, low calory, and therefore better than providing beef and pork to kids.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've reached the point that I don't believe any of the claims in this discussion, neither pro nor con. It appears we have a complete absence of authoritive references. Fortunately the only reason we're here at GA is to get a better understanding of the opinions of our fellows, and I better appreciate both sides of the issue for having read the discussion. I'll reserve my judgement until I have better information.

5. Japanese daruma

Lovehound,

Here is what the IWC Convention says.

INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE REGULATION OF WHALING

http://www.iwcoffice.org/commission/convention.htm

Article VIII

1. Notwithstanding anything contained in this Convention any Contracting Government may grant to any of its nationals a special permit authorizing that national to kill, take and treat whales for purposes of scientific research subject to such restrictions as to number and subject to such other conditions as the Contracting Government thinks fit, and the killing, taking, and treating of whales in accordance with the provisions of this Article shall be exempt from the operation of this Convention. Each Contracting Government shall report at once to the Commission all such authorizations which it has granted. Each Contracting Government may at any time revoke any such special permit which it has granted.

2. Any whales taken under these special permits shall so far as practicable be processed and the proceeds shall be dealt with in accordance with directions issued by the Government by which the permit was granted.

3. Each Contracting Government shall transmit to such body as may be designated by the Commission, in so far as practicable, and at intervals of not more than one year, scientific information available to that Government with respect to whales and whaling, including the results of research conducted pursuant to paragraph 1 of this Article and to Article IV.

4. Recognizing that continuous collection and analysis of biological data in connection with the operations of factory ships and land stations are indispensable to sound and constructive management of the whale fisheries, the Contracting Governments will take all practicable measures to obtain such data.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

So you're telling me that the IWC is a complete sham, that any member country can declare any whaling to be for scientific purposes, and then they can proceed to kill as many whales as they like and process them for food, without limits except whatever they set themselves.

That would be like if I had permission to burglarize houses for scientific research purposes, and that I could break in and steal everything in the house and keep it all for my own personal use, within any limit that I define for myself.

Those aren't regulations dude. They're carte blanch permission to kills as many of any whale species they like, without any limit except whatever they set themselves. It's a license to kill.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

That is precisely correct, as I pointed out much earlier in this thread, with appropriate citations.

It's a watchdog without fangs, claws and only an emphysemic bark.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

And please pardon my slowness and inattention to the earlier discussion. Sometimes I just have to work these things out for myself. However, it's nice that we've come to the same conclusions. I don't see that there's any point in continuing this discussion, at least for me there isn't.

EDIT: For the record, I have read the entire thread mostly day by day as it was posted, although I do not claim 100% comprehension—particularly on some of the longer tirades.

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I wouldn't blame anyone for not reading a 12-page thread before commenting ;)

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. Of course the Japanese take full advanage. The IWC is powerless to stop them doing anything. The Japanese play it as though they have the blessing of the IWC to kill whales legally through this loop whole allowing research all the time simply continuing with their commercial hunt.

11. Japanese daruma

Lovehound,

So you're telling me that the IWC is a complete sham,

Probably you are mistaken from the beginning to the end after all.

IWC is an internatioinal association of "Let's use this animal more effectively for human purpose." It is not one of those environmentist organization.

HISTORY AND PURPOSE

The International Whaling Commission (IWC) was set up under the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling which was signed in Washington DC on 2nd December 1946 (Click HERE to view full text). The purpose of the Convention is to provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry.

http://www.iwcoffice.org/commission/iwcmain.htm

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Is caring about whales frivilous? From Grist magazine.

I've had plenty to say in this thread. The quotes below echo my sentiments pretty closely. Having someone else express in their own words them might add a small amount of refreshment to this debate.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

It was only a matter of time until Iceland or Norway got into their full scale whaling agian. The difficulty or impossibility of policing the activity will always make it relativley easy for them to do what they please.

"Normalise" ....yea, sure. Normal for who?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ic...g-despite-pleas/2006/10/18/1160850998376.html

14. Japanese daruma

Thursday, Nov. 16, 2006

Fleet targets 860 whales in annual Antarctic hunt

By ERIC TALMADGE
    The Associated Press

Japan's research whaling fleet is planning to kill 850 minke and 10 fin whales on its annual hunt in the Antarctic, according to the Fisheries Agency.
    The six-ship fleet left Wednesday from Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi Prefecture, to begin this year's hunt, the agency said.

It said the fleet has a target of 850 minke whales, a relatively small and plentiful species, along with 10 of the fin species, which is larger and more rare. It will return next April.

The world's biggest consumer of seafood, Japan is strongly opposed to the global ban on commercial whaling imposed by the International Whaling Commission 20 years ago.

Though the stated primary objective of the fleet is researching the populations, feeding and breeding habits of whales, the meat from the catch is distributed commercially, with proceeds cycled back to pay for the cost of the program.

Many environmental groups claim the research program is merely an excuse to keep whale meat on the market, a charge the Fisheries Agency denies. Data from the research are used by the IWC's scientific committee to gauge whale stocks.

While the government-backed fleet continues to set sail each year, the whaling industry has all but vanished. Once a common part of the Japanese diet, whale is now an expensive delicacy, though it is easy to find cans of whale meat at most large supermarkets.

There have been reports, however, that consumer demand for whale has fallen off, in part over fears of the mammals' high mercury levels.
    Even so, the government plans to catch 1,070 minke whales in 2006, as well as a total of 170 Bryde's, sei, sperm and fin whales.

This year, 35 whales have already been caught off Hokkaido in a 42-day expedition. That catch was well below the 60 allowed under the coastal program, which like the Antarctic hunts is authorized by the International Whaling Commission.

The small catch was blamed on bad weather. Other reports, however, suggested the small haul was due to the decline in the smaller fish the targeted whale species feed on.

The Japan Times

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Every civilized country in the world, when killing animals for food, enacts laws to make the animal's suffering minimal. The video damn well makes it hard to determine which species pictured is the animal. No, wait, it is obviously the two legged one. Sons of bitches.

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The dolphin skilling is barbaric and uncivilsed. But that doesn't worry the Japanese fishers.

In a related activity, Japan has agreed to reduce their bluefin tuna catch by 20% as the species is threatened if current catch levels continue. The whalers are in the southern ocean doing their killing while the Sea Shepherd group seems to be earning the bulk of the criticism for trying to stop them.

The Japanese must learn to change their ways. They are the ones in the wrong and the irresponsible and barbaric behaviour has to stop.

18. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Is this why the Japanese cannot stop whaling? From someone who has the local knowledge.

From The Japan Times.

19. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That's the most apologistic statement I've read in a long time.

SM

20. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

If that's true, then all I can say is that the Japanese have REALLY got to start getting over themselves!
    Because all this is not about hurting someone's feelings. :shake:
    It's about sustaining a resource, and harvesting such a resource in a manner befitting mankind's civility and thoughtfulness in claiming themselves to be the dominant species of the planet.

Somebody's feeling got hurt?
    Nation pride is at stake?
    Good grief, give me a break!
    This excuse (or reason) for the issue is just really pathetic.
    No wonder they're "being labeled a cruel country, and having eggs and paint thrown at it".

BUT, OK, SURE, if that's what's needed.
    I appologize, I'm sorry, can you possibly forgive me?
    Can the hunt stop now?

Regards,