1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan 'loses' 206kg of plutonium

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Now isn't thsi lovely. Hope it does not wind up in N. Korea or the Middle East.

Japan 'loses' 206kg of plutoniumBy Bayan Rahman in TokyoPublished: January 28 2003 20:12 | Last Updated: January 28 2003 20:12

Japan on Tuesday admitted that 206kg of its plutonium - enough to make about 25 nuclear bombs - is unaccounted for.

Government scientists said that 6,890kg of plutonium had been extracted since 1977 from spent nuclear fuel at a processing plant about 120km north east of Tokyo. But that is 3 per cent short of the amount the plant was estimated to have produced.

About 5kg to 8kg of plutonium are needed to make a 20-kiloton atomic bomb similar to the one that destroyed Nagasaki in 1945.

Experts said the missing amount was surprisingly large.

More: http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentS...StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1042491288304

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

OH MY GOD!!!

Here's hoping it really didn't wind up in the DPRK...damn, that would be a total freak-out!

SM

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I aam a bit surprised. I always thought the Japanese were rather careful about such things. Really blew this one.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I agree. I'm extremely shocked to discover they even HAVE plutonium, not to mention having lost it.

SM

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

I also thought they were meticulous, and no threat at all. I would like to know what happened here.