1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's all fun and games in space until it isn't

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Aug 13, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Allene, Arc and jimeez like this.
  2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Sounds like vehicles for long-term stints in space will have to provide some gravity one way or another. There's a sci fi book by CJ Cherryh built around the concept of space travelers having to spend time in gravity periodically for their health. It's called Heavy Time. :)

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

His book just went to the top of my "buy" list. That was a fascinating read.

ethics likes this.
  4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I wish I could remember what show it was that I watched recently, but in it they followed Scott Kelly from the moment he landed back on earth throughout the next (i think) year or more. In it they showed all the testing he had to go through on a sometimes daily basis and the grueling experiences he had getting re-acclimated to the Earth's gravity/atmosphere. This guy suffered more than you can imagine...the article does a good job hitting the main points. We're definitely not cut out for space.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

CJ Cherryh is onbofbthe best science fixfict writers out there.

I feel like this should be an addendum to the original topic .
    If humans hope to leave Earth, we’ll need to be different. But if it’s possible to transform ourselves so radically, should we?

The Genetics (and Ethics) of Making Humans Fit for Mars

6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

He has a twin (which is why he was selected to do this), and Kelley showed genetic differences as well.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

Ethics, thanks for posting that.

I really enjoyed the article and absorbing and considering the physiological information and effects Kelly experienced.

Many of the effects he describes I am not surprised by in the least as in the theoretical many are predictable. Nevertheless, actually physically experiencing it and describing it gives more meaning and reality to myself or any reader I would imagine.

A part of me is a bit angry as I believe that the folks running the program on earth irresponsibly knew and could anticipate with reasonable certainty the negative effects of nine months of zero-G. We have been sending people into space for prolonged periods of weightlessness for nearly 50 years. The effects of prolonged zero-G is well established. The longer the period of weightlessness the greater the ill effects. Nothing new to see or learn.

Also IMO it is irresponsible to send a man of Kelly's age into space for that period of time. (Worse yet to do it multiple times.) I suppose few would agree with me, but I really think it borders, (given what we know from previous men in space missions and the effects of age on all of us), on criminally negligent.

I would expect Kelly to die young and unless he dies suddenly, to have permanent deteriorating health in his "golden years." But I hope that I am wrong.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    ethics likes this.
  8. MemphisMark

Arc,

Medical science has always advanced on the backs of the unfortunate. Things like C-sections were developed on poor women who couldn't afford the costs of the then top-of-the-line medical services. "We're trying something different, you are probably going to die without this procedure. This will cost you nothing because we're still working things out. There's a good chance the procedure will save your life, however the procedure can kill you if the issue wouldn't have."

I am sure that Kelly was picked in part because of his age. I do not disagree with your assessment. The knowledge gleaned from him will help countless others, here on the planet and those who will in the future venture to other worlds.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Mark, I fail to see the nexus of the content of your post's first paragraph to Kelly or to my post. Sorry.

As to your second paragraph, the knowledge you allude to when you say, "The knowledge gleaned from him [53-year-old astronaut Kelly], will help countless others, here on the planet..."

Help how? How to best deal with nine-months of zero-gravity weightlessness in general or for men in their fifties? Once again sorry, but I don't see it.

As for the likelihood of large numbers of humans traveling to other planets in a state of weightlessness, IMO it will never happen.

10. MemphisMark

Let me make it clear. There are times when human medical science advances have to be tested on humans, without a guaranteed positive outcome. Kelly is one such lab rat. He has suffered significant physiological change and a possibly shortened lifespan for medicine to gain the knowledge they now have thanks to him.

The Tuskegee Experiment (purposely infecting Black males with syphilis) was ethically a horrendous event. Those men were never told about the experiment and never volunteered for it. Still, the body of knowledge of medical science was advanced. Same with the Nazi's. They performed terrible experiments on unwilling subjects, however the data gathered still medically expended our knowledge base. I do not condone either of these experiments, no way no how because they were not willing test subjects. The data collected just is, how it was collected is the ethical conundrum.

The space program of the 60's led to the development of many practices and technologies that still affect us today. I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) and I am not privy to that program or data. However, I am sure that Kelly's physiological changes and what was/is being done to him to treat him will advance medical science.

Just as a thought exercise here. Astronauts lose bone density in space. What if using Kelly as a test subject they figured out how to minimize/reverse the loss of bone density? Don't you think that might help astronauts on deep space missions? What about people with osteoporosis? Would that not help both astronauts and those of us who will never leave the planet?

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thank you very much, but I'm staying on EARTH! I actually experienced a tiny bit of this back in my SLC days. Flying home meant going from 4800 feet above sea level at my house to 36 feet in Nova Scotia. I would go around for days feeling like something was pushing down on me.

ethics likes this.
  12. MemphisMark

This is a 2 part film from Discovery Channel Canada. I liked it, it's realistic and plausible, with realistic possible "incidents."