1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's A Good Thing I Always Loved The Cold War...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was thinking the same thing, SM. Watch for a new wave of spy books. You want to write one? ;)

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Good time for me to have discovered The Americans. :D

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Brian, what are they? A TV series?

5. SixofNine

A TV series on FX set in the 1980s under Reagan. A couple of KGB sleeper agents live in Falls Church, VA in a marriage arranged by the KGB during the Khrushchev era. Although it's set in the 1980s with analog TV sets, gas guzzlers, tape recorders, phonographs, etc., it has kind of "stumbled into timeliness" as an article in Friday's Boston Globe put it.

It's another one of those excellent cable television shows a la Mad Men, Justified, Walking Dead, etc. The second season just started a few weeks ago, and if you subscribe to Amazon Prime you can watch the first season for free. The showrunner was a CIA agent in the 1980s, too.

Here's some background from two New Yorker reviews (and what the reviewer says about the actress Annet Mahendru is true :) ).

2013 review:
    2014 review:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  6. SixofNine

While you have me in rhapsodic mode, here's a season one trailer:

Season two promo:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Brian. I'm not on Amazon Prime, but am on Netflix DVD. Our rural "high-speed" Internet cannot handle streaming, so I just get DVDs. No problem. I put Season One on my queue. It'll be a while before I get it though. Too many other people have the same idea. Thanks for letting me know about it.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leon, I said a "new wave of spy BOOKS." I was joking about Cold War II.

10. ethics

Fair enough. :)

Allene likes this.
  11. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'd like more spy books.

By the way, just a personal observation: spy books almost always feature an element of the protagonist being betrayed.

Same thing as mystery books.There may be a few exceptions but 99% involve somebody being murdered.

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes. I love mysteries, especially the ones with British settings.

13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, Obama is losing any and all respect he could possibly have in the world. He, like most Democrats, are just plain weak-kneed. And while people like Putin are simply exploiting his weakness, having correctly sized him up as a stuffed suit, Israelis are calling him out, literally. Making deals with Iran, getting rumped by Russia in Syria and now Ukraine, what comes next?

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-...se-minister-Yaalons-criticism-of-Obama-345809

Ya'alon said on Tuesday that, in light of developments on crises in the Middle East, relations with China and with Russia over the annexation of Crimea, Obama's "image in the world is feebleness."

So the administration is "mystified" by this statement, and questions Israel's commitment to its relationship with the US (not realizing the US is making this relationship dubious), but what it needs to do is understand that this statement is TRUE. Introspection is a magnificent thing, but seems to be something this administration is incapable of.

Go have another round of golf, Barry, my man.

14. ethics

The United States is using unprecedented language to condemn Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon after he continued weeks of criticism of US President Barack Obama, and members of his foreign policy team, on Tuesday.

Notice that's all US admin can do is bash Israel. Go after your ally, you putzes.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm surprised that Obama hasn't gone on vacation in the middle of all this.

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

Obama has made a mockery of any respect both our allies and enemies have for America.

What do you expect when you elect a community organizer to freshman Senator and then elect him to President? Just what skills does a community organizer have dealing with a toughened, grizzzled ex-KGB agent governing a malevolent major nuclear nation?

For that matter, what skills does a community organizer have to fuck up the entire medical care delivery system for a nation of 330 million people? Hrm... He was pretty skilled at that, fucking it up. Succeeded too.

17. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

In the liberal world, the US is the main problem, and by proxy, the ally of the US is the enemy of the liberal individual. This has been reflected in every move this administration has ever made.

And if you ever wondered what a disaster John Kerry would have been as President, just look at what a disaster he is as our leading diplomat. What a useless piece of idiot.

18. ethics

if you ever wondered what a disaster John Kerry would have been as President, just look at what a disaster he is as our leading diplomat.

I am tweeting that.

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

The only question in my mind is whether America is going to survive the Obama administration. We are losing allies right and left, and our enemies are emboldened.

Meanwhile on the home front the government does everything it can to ruin the nation's economy and destroy the healthcare system.

And the icing on the cake is that they are doing the best they can to make America economically non-competitive in the world.

They should quit this shit and go back to outlawing tungsten filament lightbulbs.