1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It was better under Apartheid

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"Most South Africans, both black and white, believe the country was better run under apartheid," Reuters reports, citing the results of a new poll:
    <blockquote>
    [The surveys] revealed a growing sense of "apartheid nostalgia" as South Africa grapples with high crime rates, increasing corruption and rising joblessness following the end of white rule in 1994.

"It's not that they want to return to apartheid, but in retrospect it was a time when trains ran on time," said poll director Robert Mattes on Wednesday._._._.

...Overall, the polls showed that about 60 percent of South Africans felt the country was better run under apartheid, with both blacks and whites rating the current government less trustworthy, more corrupt, less able to enforce the law and less able to deliver government services than its white predecessor.</blockquote>

Not surprisingly, though, the results break down along racial lines. Sixty-five percent of whites identify "positive elements to whites-only rule," vs. just 20% of blacks.

Full Story

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'm sure that in some ways it was better under Apartheid. But if it takes a repressive system like that then the ends don't justify the means. I spent 18 months in SA during this time and life for the average white was not much different than it was in my own country in a lot of ways. For some blacks and coloureds, as the mixed race people were called, life was perhaps better. I haven't been there since the Apartheid days and although I keep in touch with friends there, haven't any first hand experience of the current political or social situation.
    The bad news is the high crime rate, especially in Johannesburg, and the stunningly high percentage, 30, of those with Aids. Security from burglary and assault is a major concern for a lot of people there, both black and white, with high wire fences and barred windows the norm in some urban areas.
    Economically the story is mixed. The Rand has dropped in value enormously since black rule commenced. There are significant numbers of disenchanted white South Africans emmigrating, a lot to Australia and bringing their wealth with them of course. There is a fear that the same thing that happened to white farmers in Zimbabwe might occur in South Africa also. Finding work if you are white is a lot more difficult than it was under A with wages now a lot higher for blacks than they used to be. When I worked in Capetown the labourers I worked with received a quarter as much as I did. I was a foreman over 3 balcks who had worked for the company for many years in one case over 20. The chances of them being promoted in their occupations was virtually zero. It was 9 months in the cities to work and three months back in the Transkei, the govt. allocated black homeland, with their families. The carrying of a domestic "passport" allowed authorities to keep trck of them.

Now its a mixed bag it appears. Just depends on where in the pecking order one finds oneself. There can be no justification for Apartheid. It was a system that benefited a minority maintained by that minority. The challenges the country has now are huge. I wish them well.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Apartheid was a horrible, horrible abuse of humanity and common decency.

I cannot imagine what it must have been like to actively fight the oppression from within. The greatest respect must be given to men such as Nelson Mandela, whom I compare to Martin Luther King in his patient and (mostly) peaceful attempts to bring about change. My heart swelled with emotion when he was released from prison, began working beside then President F. W. de Klerk as President of the ANC, and finally to succeed de Klerk as the President of the country that once wished nothing more than to see the man dead. He said, as he went to prison, "During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die." His integrity leaves me in awe.

What his wife, Winnie, did while he was imprisoned took the freedom fights to an entirely different level, one that I believe damn near destroyed much of what he worked toward. There's nothing like the image of the necklace to turn people away from whatever agenda the perpetrators had.

From the article Ethics referenced, ""As people, especially racial minorities, become more accustomed to the new order, they seem to be coming to terms with it, even as they moan and grumble about all its faults," said the poll." My, my, my! Sounds like the true growing pains of Democracy!! ;)