1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islamists in Iraq...from Syria

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Isn't it ironic? Up until the journalist was killed, the media was pretty much giving ISIS a pass. Now? They're wanting to know when ISIS is getting "stomped out". Funny how that works.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Reminds me of the intro to the book "How to Think Like A Freak" from (imho) best Economists on the planet:

I feel really and especially saddened how much Media manipulates and dictates like in the US. What's even sadder is that people really have no idea that it's a fact AND the level of thereof.

Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

So do I. It's my number one regret when I think of this country because it is really responsible for several other regrets on my list. It's really depressing, and there's not a thing I can do about it because these reporters don't need to run for elected office. They are violating their own ethics big time, but in many circles I'd be considered too, too quaint for even pointing that out. Who needs ethics? Why worry about integrity? How old fashioned can you get? It doesn't matter if it is in fashion or not. You don't have a great country without integrity.

QUOTE]I feel really and especially saddened how much Media manipulates and dictates like in the US. What's even sadder is that people really have no idea that it's a fact AND the level of thereof.[/QUOTE]

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I blame the voters, not the media. You get the government you deserve. You get the media you prefer to watch. You pick and choose who gets to give you your brainwashing.

Unfortunately those of us who vote contrary get the same crappy government the majority votes for. At least we aren't forced to watch their liberal dreck, at least not as long as Fox News Network is on the air.

Maybe I was just naive back then. It seems to me that decades ago news was more balanced, not so political. Maybe news was mostly just weather and sports and car crashes then. I don't watch car crash news any more (has no effect on my life unless I'm the one in the car), I don't watch weather because I can look out the window and I don't care what tomorrow's weather will be (or I can ask Siri). I don't have the sports gene.

I live in California, a state so dominated by liberals that it makes no real difference whether or not I vote. I guess watching Fox News Network has become my new "car crash" news. I slow down and look at the political blood. Some of the blood is mine because I live in the country, but as I said, my California vote doesn't count.

I tell my friend I call it "newsertainment." I tell her if I were writing a TV screenplay I'd never be able to sell the scripts because producers would tell me, "This stuff is unbelievable -- It couldn't happen in the real world." Yet it is happening in the real world, and there's not a thing I can do about it except tune in for the next unbelievable episode.

I wonder what the weather will be like tomorrow. I guess I'll find out when I wake up. I wonder what the world will be like tomorrow. Probably a lot like today, except a bit worse.

5. ethics

Story is about how one town kept the ISIS at bay (they didn't "want US help" -- idiots) but towards the end of the article... OOOOooof.

No comment needed. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world/middleeast/waging-a-desperate-fight-an-iraqi-town-holds-off-militants.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Then the old man should have fought.

I'd die before letting some thugs have one of my children. Fucking coward.

7. ethics

There's a chance that the son could have lived. There was no chance the old man would AND that his actions would not have his son AND daughters(raped) killed.

8. Copzilla

Except that if he had fought, and OTHERS had fought, there is NO chance the assholes who did this would survive, let alone be able to do the things they do.

I would simply go to my grave taking as many of those bastards with me that I could. I wouldn't even be waiting for them to make whatever deal they offered.

It's a passive society, like the Jews in Germany, that pay the price. Fight. Screw it, if you're getting overrun by thugs, go down in flames. It's better than surviving and weeping for your son the rest of your life, wondering what-if.

Allene likes this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I keep thinking of that movie The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, which I saw back around 1972. It has been haunting me ever since. Those who don't see the handwriting on the wall are doomed.

10. ethics

11. ethics

12. ethics

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Why do I get the distinct impression that these poor, poor misguided souls thought it would be just like the video games they play? Guess what cupcake? Welcome to the real world!

14. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

“I’m fed up to the back teeth. My iPod no longer works out here. I have got to come home,” said a message from a French fighter in Syria.

:pacifier-93:

ethics likes this.
  15. Copzilla

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Beautiful girls! What a waste!

17. ethics

God gave us a brain to make a choice -- right or wrong -- they chose... poorly.